Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CU advice / BCU experience

tag
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

New CU advice / BCU experience

Hey All, 

Reached again a point of conflict about where I should house my every day to day banking, so I decided to reach out again for some advice if anyone cares to share.  This also comes with a small inheritance coming my way, which I will be utilizing to reduce my 41% CC debt down to under 10%, rest in emergency funds, so I thought before it gets here I have a plan of action when I get the ball rolling.  My current portfolio is as follows

BECU - Main as of today

SSFCU - First previous main CU,  used for Shared Braching and any banking needs such as Cashier Checks since its down the street and relationship

DCU - 2nd previous main bank after I moved it from SSFCU, loved the early 2day DD and emergency loan option they have and wanted a relationship.  Moved away due to the horrid 1hr+ hold times for customer service and no credit products love aside from the emergency loan (they approved me initially for a CC with a big ole congratulations.. to get a letter in the mail that it was denied.)

Others that are open but never did much - PSECU, Alliant, BCU, Penfed (member of these for at least 2 years each)

Some may wonder about BECU and why I would leave, and mind you I do love their service as its always been great.  Love the quick next day free transfers, can quickly resolve any question via chat, and while joining I had no issue (no fraud dept).  Though with that love, I am fearful that department may come for me at some point, whether it be a transaction from normal banking or when I apply for a CC... asking for all my info, blood, come in person to WA when I live in TX, etc.  I will say though that if there is a better option, I will still keep somjething DDing to the account with maybe a CC in the future.

So for options, here is for some opinions.  

BCU (Baxter) - I have been reading some good things on here, and wondered if they are good for every day banking.  Their checking seems to have really nice buffs.  I am a member due to employer, as for us they are the United Healthcare CU.  I also like their Cash back card, and they do have early 2 day DD for me.

Penfed - I only have a savings, but they do have early DD.  I am however worried about a HP for the checking, thought on the site it used to reflect a definite one will be pulled, but now its wording has changed.. maybe a trap lol.  "By clicking the I Agree button, I authorize PenFed to obtain a consumer report from a consumer reporting agency to verify information provided in your application or for legitimate business purpose in connection with your Penfed account.This will not impact my credit score."   I know this is a conservative CU from Egypt (hehe) but would be a dream goal if I ever got their CC products (and beginning of a Prime CC experience)

DCU - Could return to them, and continue as I am as ACH payments and use my CC cards for all my purchases aside from rent.  Their transfer service is slower than BECU, but aside from the CC experience never an issue.

And with that, will stop here but feel free to comment on the others, or any new ones that could be good options.  Any and all advice is welcomed Smiley Happy

~JD
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: New CU advice / BCU experience

I will keep this short. You have pretty much done your homeworkSmiley Happy

I will address PenFed CU .. Once I had Membership through a basic savings,

opened a checking acct. and a high yield savings acct. (there were no further HP's to do so)

Currently a member of quite a few CU's, would say ..Go with the one that serves you the best.

Maybe others will chime in and give you more insight ..like on BCU (in which I am not a member).

GL2U

Message 2 of 5
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

BCU is a good friendly CU.  We have been members since 2008.  Many extended family members have accounts there from auto loans to CC's to mortgages.  My Wife has a power checking account that earns "high" interest for the first 15k.  That need a $500 ACH deposit and 15 bill pays (originated anywhere) to get the interest boost.  They are great.  Unfortunately, I had to burn them in the great 2014 meltdown.  It was the last card the DW and I tried to hold on to because they had been so good to us.  Luckily, she was not on that personal card.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

Hey All, 

Reached again a point of conflict about where I should house my every day to day banking, so I decided to reach out again for some advice if anyone cares to share.  This also comes with a small inheritance coming my way, which I will be utilizing to reduce my 41% CC debt down to under 10%, rest in emergency funds, so I thought before it gets here I have a plan of action when I get the ball rolling.  My current portfolio is as follows

BECU - Main as of today

SSFCU - First previous main CU,  used for Shared Braching and any banking needs such as Cashier Checks since its down the street and relationship

DCU - 2nd previous main bank after I moved it from SSFCU, loved the early 2day DD and emergency loan option they have and wanted a relationship.  Moved away due to the horrid 1hr+ hold times for customer service and no credit products love aside from the emergency loan (they approved me initially for a CC with a big ole congratulations.. to get a letter in the mail that it was denied.)

Others that are open but never did much - PSECU, Alliant, BCU, Penfed (member of these for at least 2 years each)

Some may wonder about BECU and why I would leave, and mind you I do love their service as its always been great.  Love the quick next day free transfers, can quickly resolve any question via chat, and while joining I had no issue (no fraud dept).  Though with that love, I am fearful that department may come for me at some point, whether it be a transaction from normal banking or when I apply for a CC... asking for all my info, blood, come in person to WA when I live in TX, etc.  I will say though that if there is a better option, I will still keep somjething DDing to the account with maybe a CC in the future.

So for options, here is for some opinions.  

BCU (Baxter) - I have been reading some good things on here, and wondered if they are good for every day banking.  Their checking seems to have really nice buffs.  I am a member due to employer, as for us they are the United Healthcare CU.  I also like their Cash back card, and they do have early 2 day DD for me.

Penfed - I only have a savings, but they do have early DD.  I am however worried about a HP for the checking, thought on the site it used to reflect a definite one will be pulled, but now its wording has changed.. maybe a trap lol.  "By clicking the I Agree button, I authorize PenFed to obtain a consumer report from a consumer reporting agency to verify information provided in your application or for legitimate business purpose in connection with your Penfed account.This will not impact my credit score."   I know this is a conservative CU from Egypt (hehe) but would be a dream goal if I ever got their CC products (and beginning of a Prime CC experience)

DCU - Could return to them, and continue as I am as ACH payments and use my CC cards for all my purchases aside from rent.  Their transfer service is slower than BECU, but aside from the CC experience never an issue.

And with that, will stop here but feel free to comment on the others, or any new ones that could be good options.  Any and all advice is welcomed Smiley Happy

1. PenFed has 1-day early direct deposit. You can get 2-day early direct deposit with other CU's, including DCU, Hanscom FCU, Affinity FCU, Langley FCU, and Chartway FCU.

2. PenFed has the lousy checking account, which hits you with a $10 monthly fee if you don't hit their minimum balance or direct deposit standards. Every other credit union I have ever dealt with has a free checking account.

3. My overall favorite of the credit unions mentioned above is Langley.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica Sadly Langley was one I had considered on my previous search but would not open an account for me when I applied.  When I called they said something in the mail would be sent and would not tell me why on the phone, but never received any letter for it so they must not like me for a membership.

~JD
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.