Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blog article: Why Your Debt-to-Income Ratio Is So Important

tag
Elizabeth_FICO
myFICO Employee

New blog article: Why Your Debt-to-Income Ratio Is So Important

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

This week's article is: Why Your Debt-to-Income Ratio Is So Important

Let me know what you think about the article.

For more content don't forget to check out our blog.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

Re: New blog article: Why Your Debt-to-Income Ratio Is So Important

My only comment on the article is about the first example shown - it doesn't include or address the housing cost.  Yes the following section does mention it, but it'll always be part of the DTI, even if the amount is zero.

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 2 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Elizabeth_FICO wrote:

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

"But your DTI is important because it helps creditors better understand your capacity to take on new debt and repay it as agreed."

I wish articles like this would address my situation, i.e., retired with a very small income, yet perfectly able to pay bills (thanks to money I socked away while working), and my DTI being totally irrelevant.

Generally speaking, I don't carry large balances on credit cards. When I do carry balances, they're at 0% interest. Right now I'm doing some major renovation stuff at my house, including completely redoing my bathroom, and buying a new refrigerator (delivered today, actually!), putting everything on CCs. If you look at my *current* DTI ratio, it sucks! Yet I have no stress whatsoever about being able to pay my bills--and neither should my creditors. I've PROVEN that I'm capable of paying very large debts (can you say 6-figure medical bills? I can!), regardless of what my DTI says.

I understand that DTI is just another piece of the credit-granting puzzle, and I get that it has its place, but it just annoys me that it's thought of in such black-and-white terms when circumstances vary so much from individual to individual.

/rant

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Elizabeth_FICO wrote:

"But your DTI is important because it helps creditors better understand your capacity to take on new debt and repay it as agreed."

I wish articles like this would address my situation, i.e., retired with a very small income, yet perfectly able to pay bills (thanks to money I socked away while working), and my DTI being totally irrelevant.

Generally speaking, I don't carry large balances on credit cards. When I do carry balances, they're at 0% interest. Right now I'm doing some major renovation stuff at my house, including completely redoing my bathroom, and buying a new refrigerator (delivered today, actually!), putting everything on CCs. If you look at my *current* DTI ratio, it sucks! Yet I have no stress whatsoever about being able to pay my bills--and neither should my creditors. I've PROVEN that I'm capable of paying very large debts (can you say 6-figure medical bills? I can!), regardless of what my DTI says.

I understand that DTI is just another piece of the credit-granting puzzle, and I get that it has its place, but it just annoys me that it's thought of in such black-and-white terms when circumstances vary so much from individual to individual.

/rant

Even retirees/people living off invested assets still have a DTI, so it's not irrelevant. Your lower income is going to be offset by making a larger down payment, but at the end of a day a bank isn't going to loan based on potential income -- they want to see realized income. 

My mortgage lender wasn't going to loan me money on the premise I make payments out of investment drawdown. I could report regular dividends as income, but if I wanted the leverage the rest in my home purchase, it would be as a down payment.

Message 4 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Elizabeth_FICO wrote:

/rant

Even retirees/people living off invested assets still have a DTI, so it's not irrelevant. Your lower income is going to be offset by making a larger down payment, but at the end of a day a bank isn't going to loan based on potential income -- they want to see realized income. 

My mortgage lender wasn't going to loan me money on the premise I make payments out of investment drawdown. I could report regular dividends as income, but if I wanted the leverage the rest in my home purchase, it would be as a down payment.

A larger down payment? On what? I haven't bought anything, nor do I intend to, that would require a down payment. So that's not an issue.

Also, some of my creditors asked for [optionally], and I provided, my assets. So they have that on file and can use it to make decisions. Even with my low income, I've never had an issue getting higher CLs or new credit; I've noted before when people see "income too low" (or similar) as a denial reason, that I haven't seen that. I don't know if these are all related somehow!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

A larger down payment? On what? I haven't bought anything, nor do I intend to, that would require a down payment. So that's not an issue.

Also, some of my creditors asked for [optionally], and I provided, my assets. So they have that on file and can use it to make decisions. Even with my low income, I've never had an issue getting higher CLs or new credit; I've noted before when people see "income too low" (or similar) as a denial reason, that I haven't seen that. I don't know if these are all related somehow!

If the point you're making is that you are able to afford anything you need because of accumulated investments, then DTI (and many other things, including your credit scores really) are going to be largely meaningless because you don't utilize any of those services. As long as you have a decent score and some form of regular income, it's sufficient. It doesn't matter what your DTI is in this case because your D is 0, which is why your situation isn't usually discussed.

If you're just talking credit cards, then DTI isn't that important for most people. Some creditors ask about the amount for your monthly housing payment, but that's only part of DTI and I've yet to have a credit card application ask me for anything beyond general income and that monthly housing cost. They don't ask for assets like a mortgage lender does. Most don't even ask for proof of income unless some red flag triggers in their system. If they do, it's because they can't make a risk determination, but generally don't have to.

Message 6 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks Elizabeth for sharing a great article, and I did learn something new, which I extracted below:

Your debt payments include minimum payments on your credit cards, loan payments and even payments on loans for which you're a co-signer — even if you're not making any of the payments yourself.

It never dawned on me that even when the monthly payments are made on time as agreed by the #1 signer, that monthly payment due is still used in calculating the #2 signer DTI. So in addition to hoping #1 doesn't default, this is another reason for not co-signing a loan for anyone. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

If the point you're making is that you are able to afford anything you need because of accumulated investments, then DTI (and many other things, including your credit scores really) are going to be largely meaningless because you don't utilize any of those services. As long as you have a decent score and some form of regular income, it's sufficient. It doesn't matter what your DTI is in this case because your D is 0, which is why your situation isn't usually discussed.

If you're just talking credit cards, then DTI isn't that important for most people. Some creditors ask about the amount for your monthly housing payment, but that's only part of DTI and I've yet to have a credit card application ask me for anything beyond general income and that monthly housing cost. They don't ask for assets like a mortgage lender does. Most don't even ask for proof of income unless some red flag triggers in their system. If they do, it's because they can't make a risk determination, but generally don't have to.

But there are times when my DTI ratio is high--like right now! I've spent a ton of money (all on credit cards) redoing my bathroom and buying a new refrigerator. If everything gets reported as they stand now, my DTI will suck big time! My utilization, both on a per-card and overall basis, will still be low (thanks to high CLs and no previous balances), but my DTI will be high.

I get it, that it's all academic in my case, since I'm not seeking or planning to seek any credit, big or small. Just saying that the general practice of using DTI as an indicator of being unable to pay bills doesn't *always* make sense.

Message 8 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Two things most people don't know about DTI planning.

1) You could go up to 50% DTI on a home or loan. Conservative lenders might cap you out at 36%.

2) Instead of buying what you can afford try to spend the least amount on something that you can get away with. If you need a family sized car try to go with something that you can get for $300-$400 a month rather than a $800 car payment.

Its possible to stretch in some areas like for a house if you don't have a car payment. But also consider how much you could rent your house for if you suddenly lost your job. A 1,500 sqft. house might rent for $2500 a month but one that is 3,000 sqft. might rent for only $3000, just $500 more though double the square feet.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

But there are times when my DTI ratio is high--like right now! I've spent a ton of money (all on credit cards) redoing my bathroom and buying a new refrigerator. If everything gets reported as they stand now, my DTI will suck big time! My utilization, both on a per-card and overall basis, will still be low (thanks to high CLs and no previous balances), but my DTI will be high.

I get it, that it's all academic in my case, since I'm not seeking or planning to seek any credit, big or small. Just saying that the general practice of using DTI as an indicator of being unable to pay bills doesn't *always* make sense.

And that's why it's not usually talked about -- it is an academic discussion if it's not being used. Why build a system or have indicators that account for a population that will never utilize it?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.