cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that I got approved for the Freedom Rise, can someone answer a quick Chase question for me?

tag
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

Now that I got approved for the Freedom Rise, can someone answer a quick Chase question for me?

I play poker primarily for income, I don't do direct deposit, I haven't worked at a company for a long time.

I just opened a Chase checking account but now I am having second thoughts. I was just gonna go to a local branch and deposit cash once a week or let's say 4-5 times a month. Most likely amounts between $300-$1000.

Are the bank tellers and or Chase mgmt gonna start getting suspicious as all I will do is come and deposit money in cash? I can maybe do a transfer at times from my Netspend account to my Chase online account but that takes days to clear.

I pretty much want to keep adding money to the Chase account(and use it to pay my Freedom Rise off) for 6-12 months so I have a really nice balance. But it just seems from what I've read and already experienced with Cap1, these banks are FRAUD CRAZY. I literally feel like any stray from "normality" it's gonna trigger questions and fraud and account restrictions. And the last thing I want to have happen is for me to have like $6000 in my Chase checking account and then they freeze my account, want me to "prove" where I'm getting the money or worse, just close my account and keep the money.

Is this a real worry for me do you guys think? Should I just put like $1000 in that account and keep it at that amt mostly? I wanted to have a nice amount in the account so a year from now that could help get me a nicer CL. I don't know what to do please help.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Now that I got approved for the Freedom Rise, can someone answer a quick Chase question for me?

I know Chase is very strange when it comes to cash anything nowadays. On an established account, I would doubt those amounts (~$5K/month) would raise eyebrows, but on a new account it might trip something.  You might go to a local branch and speak with a branch manager to see if you can have a note on your account that they know what's going on and it's not nefarious. This will also come in handy in case there is any kinda of hiccup, the branch manager will already know your situation and be able to go to bat for you with whatever back office that is causing an issue.

Message 2 of 33
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

Re: Now that I got approved for the Freedom Rise, can someone answer a quick Chase question for me?

@ChargedUp wrote:

I know Chase is very strange when it comes to cash anything nowadays. On an established account, I would doubt those amounts (~$5K/month) would raise eyebrows, but on a new account it might trip something.  You might go to a local branch and speak with a branch manager to see if you can have a note on your account that they know what's going on and it's not nefarious. This will also come in handy in case there is any kinda of hiccup, the branch manager will already know your situation and be able to go to bat for you with whatever back office that is causing an issue.

I thought of that but why would he/she go to bat for me either? I just opened the account and did it online, I have no history at all with them. So just telling the manager I gamble and that's how I am able to put money in the account every week imo doesn't seem like it will really do anything to help me. 

I mean that manager has no idea if I'm telling the truth or not and as I said, he/she don't know me at all. 

It's definitely a weird situation and really don't know what to do.

Message 3 of 33
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

So you don't have a job and gambling is your income ?

what do you put on your recent applications  (employment ) and what income did you state ? 

EXP 780 EQ 796 TU 806
Message 4 of 33
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

So you don't have a job and gambling is your income ?

what do you put on your recent applications  (employment ) and what income did you state ? 

I put self employed and an income around $80,000 which is pretty accurate.

In the poker or gambling community people deal with primarily cash and sometimes large sums of it. In 2021 for example I won $170,000 and took all the cash(didn't want a check). But these banks don't understand that. I really am torn on what to do. I'm thinking I just might just leave a $1000 in the Chase account and when some is used I'll get it back to $1000. 

My only worry is down the road when I apply for my next Chase card as well as ask for a CLI, Chase might not give me much because it only sees $1000 in the account and no direct deposits at all. That's why I'm regretting now even opening a Chase account. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 5 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

I play poker primarily for income, I don't do direct deposit, I haven't worked at a company for a long time.

I just opened a Chase checking account but now I am having second thoughts. I was just gonna go to a local branch and deposit cash once a week or let's say 4-5 times a month. Most likely amounts between $300-$1000.

Are the bank tellers and or Chase mgmt gonna start getting suspicious as all I will do is come and deposit money in cash? I can maybe do a transfer at times from my Netspend account to my Chase online account but that takes days to clear.

I pretty much want to keep adding money to the Chase account(and use it to pay my Freedom Rise off) for 6-12 months so I have a really nice balance. But it just seems from what I've read and already experienced with Cap1, these banks are FRAUD CRAZY. I literally feel like any stray from "normality" it's gonna trigger questions and fraud and account restrictions. And the last thing I want to have happen is for me to have like $6000 in my Chase checking account and then they freeze my account, want me to "prove" where I'm getting the money or worse, just close my account and keep the money.

Is this a real worry for me do you guys think? Should I just put like $1000 in that account and keep it at that amt mostly? I wanted to have a nice amount in the account so a year from now that could help get me a nicer CL. I don't know what to do please help.

Thanks!!

If you're reporting your income, then I don't see any reason for concern.

If you're not reporting your income, then you have all kinds of issues.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 6 of 33
Aim_High
Super Contributor

For full transparency in the discussion, @MikeyMagic, I'm going to ask a couple of pointed questions.  No accusations but just so we understand.  Do you prefer to take the cash versus check for some specific reason?  Are any income taxes being withheld at payout?  Are you paying your full taxes due to the IRS on your income?  I'm not familiar with income streams like this, but I do suspect it could raise many red flags.

• For most of the past century, large payments including most payroll deposits have been made by paper checks or electronic transfers.  More and more, even smaller transactions are handled electronically and without cash.  Large cash movements are exceedingly rare these days. 

• Transactions in all or mostly cash are suspicious.   Even before the modern advent of primarily electronic payments, cash-only has made tracing the source more difficult and has often been used in illegal or criminal activity.  Cash can be used in money laundering.  What you are doing may be perfectly legal, but using large cash payments or deposits automatically would lead an auditor to questions. 

• After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, changes in US law required financial institutions to exercise greater due diligence and increasing federal reporting so-as to prevent the enabling of funding of terrorist activity.   >The USA Patriot Act of 2001, Title III< is specifically aimed at money laundering as it related to terrorist causes.  Combined with the growth of the internet and web-based financial transactions in that same time-frame, that's why lenders often seem highly skeptical about proof of identify when applying for new credit.  And that's another reason why they may be more suspicious and inquisitive about unusual transactions. 

• Even if you are being completely forthright about your income and paying taxes, be aware that the Internal Revenue Service has >vigorous oversight of suspicious activity< as a precursor to prosecution of tax fraud.  (Note the specific references to that Bank Secrecy Act and money laundering statutes in the link I provided.)  If I were you, I would keep extensive records of that income as the large cash deposits may greatly increase your odds of a tax audit. 

• The Chase account is just an aside to all of the above.   All of the above issues would/could apply to any financial institution where you're making large cash deposits.   If you're doing everything on the up-and-up, you might want to reconsider the cash payment / deposit route. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 33
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

For full transparency in the discussion, @MikeyMagic, I'm going to ask a couple of pointed questions.  No accusations but just so we understand.  Do you prefer to take the cash versus check for some specific reason?  Are any income taxes being withheld at payout?  Are you paying your full taxes due to the IRS on your income?  I'm not familiar with income streams like this, but I do suspect it could raise many red flags.

• For most of the past century, large payments including most payroll deposits have been made by paper checks or electronic transfers.  More and more, even smaller transactions are handled electronically and without cash.  Large cash movements are exceedingly rare these days. 

• Transactions in all or mostly cash are suspicious.   Even before the modern advent of primarily electronic payments, cash-only has made tracing the source more difficult and has often been used in illegal or criminal activity.  Cash can be used in money laundering.  What you are doing may be perfectly legal, but using large cash payments or deposits automatically would lead an auditor to questions. 

• After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, changes in US law required financial institutions to exercise greater due diligence and increasing federal reporting so-as to prevent terrorist activity.   >The USA Patriot Act of 2001, Title III< is specifically aimed at money laundering as it related to terrorist causes.  Combined with the growth of the internet and web-based financial transactions in that same time-frame, that's why lenders often seem highly skeptical about proof of identify when applying for new credit.  And that's another reason why they may be more suspicious and inquisitive about unusual transactions. 

• Even if you are being completely forthright about your income and paying taxes, be aware that the Internal Revenue Service has >vigorous oversight of suspicious activity< as a precursor to prosecution of tax fraud.  (Note the specific references to that Bank Secrecy Act and money laundering statutes in the link I provided.)  If I were you, I would keep extensive records of that income as the large cash deposits may greatly increase your odds of a tax audit. 

• The Chase account is just an aside to all of the above.   All of the above issues would/could apply to any financial institution where you're making large cash deposits.   If you're doing everything on the up-and-up, you might want to reconsider the cash payment / deposit route. 

I take the cash because I have read countless stories and know of people who deposit large amounts of money in a bank account through a check and the money gets frozen. Or when I want to withdrawl $15000 to gamble its gonna raise all sorts of red flags and lots of times these banks make it really difficult and annoying to take money out in that size. So I prefer having the cash, put it in a safety deposit box and can go and take money when I want to gamble.

In the gambling community people don't question cash at all. Everywhere else it just causes many more problems. 

Lastly speaking for myself, for years I was down and out and ruined my credit and got evicted and was homeless for long periods and had no bank account. I have been using cash almost exclusively for over 2 decades so I am very comfortable with it. And it just seems like all these financial institutions have taken fraud concerns to sky high levels and I don't want to be part of it. The fact that Cap1 restricted my account because I "paid my bill multiple times in a day" shows exactly what I am talking about. I can't even make 2 payments on my credit card bill in 1 day without having fraud depts needing to get involved. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Message 8 of 33
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

• After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, changes in US law required financial institutions to exercise greater due diligence and increasing federal reporting so-as to prevent terrorist activity.   >The USA Patriot Act of 2001, Title III< is specifically aimed at money laundering as it related to terrorist causes.  Combined with the growth of the internet and web-based financial transactions in that same time-frame, that's why lenders often seem highly skeptical about proof of identify when applying for new credit.  And that's another reason why they may be more suspicious and inquisitive about unusual transactions. 

I take the cash because I have read countless stories and know of people who deposit large amounts of money in a bank account through a check and the money gets frozen. Or when I want to withdrawl $15000 to gamble its gonna raise all sorts of red flags and lots of times these banks make it really difficult and annoying to take money out in that size. So I prefer having the cash, put it in a safety deposit box and can go and take money when I want to gamble.

In the gambling community people don't question cash at all. Everywhere else it just causes many more problems. 

Lastly speaking for myself, for years I was down and out and ruined my credit and got evicted and was homeless for long periods and had no bank account. I have been using cash almost exclusively for over 2 decades so I am very comfortable with it. And it just seems like all these financial institutions have taken fraud concerns to sky high levels and I don't want to be part of it. The fact that Cap1 restricted my account because I "paid my bill multiple times in a day" shows exactly what I am talking about. I can't even make 2 payments on my credit card bill in 1 day without having fraud depts needing to get involved. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Do you file  on all your winnings and pay taxes on it?

EXP 780 EQ 796 TU 806
Message 9 of 33
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Do you file  on all your winnings and pay taxes on it?

I haven't paid taxes in 20+ years because I was homeless and had no steady income. I had people put me in poker tournaments and stake me in cash games and I would win a little and lose it back. When I won the $170,000 that was taxed by the casinos.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.