Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Main Financial?

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

One Main Financial?

I am in a position where I don't need a loan, but it would be nice so that I can complete home renovations I have going on. I am only looking for around $7000 and keep getting these emails and regular mail offers for One Main Financial.

Has anyone used them? Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: One Main Financial?

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

I am in a position where I don't need a loan, but it would be nice so that I can complete home renovations I have going on. I am only looking for around $7000 and keep getting these emails and regular mail offers for One Main Financial.

Thanks!

I would stay clear of them , their rates are terrible . They are borderline predatory lenders 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their loan rates are about equal or greater than high interest credit cards

Except they'll be mad and literally ask how you get the money to pay it off when you do

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have even marginally ok credit, you can do better. My ex applied for one of their loans and they did some serious bait and switch on her at the last moment when she went to sign for her loan. They tried to get her to use her car as collateral to give her the amount of the loan they had offered. She walked away and then they hounded her for weeks trying to get her back in the office to take a lesser loan amount unsecured. 

Message 4 of 32
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Id give One Main a hard pass.... In the past, iv seen they have played payment games with some folks, and as someone mentioned... don't like being paid off, and play games when it comes to the actual loan.... 

Reminds me of a Santander Financial car note ... pass this offer up..  you should be able to do better... 

-J

Message 5 of 32
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Just in case you'd like someone else to say it...

Avoid them if you can.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

Thanks!

Years back I took one of their loans (no knowledge) and found it cost me points at the CBs. Read about that on this Forum a long while back too.

Message 7 of 32
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Last night, I was on Pacer and looked up an ex.

He filed his third BK a few years back. One Main Financial actually SHOWED up to the hearing and disputed the debt being included in bankruptcy and provided PROOF that the ex had taken out the loan (& used his vehicle as collateral).  WOW.  Wow to One Main Financial for standing up and saying they want their money.  

Some other folks I knew took out a loan with One Main Financial.  They decided not to pay it all back - they got tired of paying on it so quit  and said to One Main Financial the company had already gotten their principle money back so bug off.

One Main Financial put a lien on the house and prevented 3 house refinances.  One Main Financial got paid off ALL of the money due.  The lender would not refi unless One Main Financial withdrew their claim.  One Main Financial said, here's the current balance.  Pay up and we will go away.  The lender paid up with the cash procedes of the refi.

If you can pay cash for the remodel, go for it.  

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

Thanks!

As I recall ... they used to be part of the Citi Bank Group for a while! Surely "birds of a feather don't flock together"?!

Message 9 of 32
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I got a loan through them in 2018 when my profile was subprime. Got funding in 24 hours or less. The rate was less than my credit cards but it was still in the high teens. I set the payments to autopay and had no issues.

I paid it off early and haven't had any issues, just the occasional mailer or call reminding me that I qualify for another loan.

If possible, go with a CU or bank that will offer you single digit interest rates.

Best wishes.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.