Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed good for main bank?

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

PenFed good for main bank?

I have found my local credit union to be non helpful when it comes to my financial needs and have decided to switch to someone else. I have a penfed membership and am thinking about them but wanted to see if I could find out more first and if they are a good choice for a main bank even with no branch access?

I will not have direct deposit do they care?

I have been a member for more than 6 months so are external transfers instant?  If not, what are the average waiting times for funds to be available?

Mobile check deposits instant availability? If not, average hold times?

Overdraft line of credit: Average limit with this type of product? Does it report to the CRAs?

Are transfers from Premium online savings instant to checking accounts or does the 5 day rule apply?

Thank you very much in advance for any information provided about this I appreciate it.

>
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed good for main bank?

Dunno but now I have 3 accts, just got checking and PCR CC

Saving $5(membership last March?)

Checking $600, will put more

PCR $2000

So I do hope so!

Message 2 of 32
srloring13
Regular Contributor

In my experience they don't care about direct deposit and transfers between accounts don't have holds on funds. You can use any COOP atm or Allpoint network atm for free. The COOP network will allow you to make deposits to your PenFed account but I don't know if they place a hold on funds deposited using that network. I applied for the overdraft LOC in June 2019  when I first opened my checking account and it reported in July 2019. It does report to all 3 credit bureau's. I'm waiting until next year to apply for their credit products.

FILED CH7 BK 02/25/13 -- DISCHARGED 06/10/13
Starting Scores 06/10/13 EQ474 EX538 TU503
Message 3 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@user979797 wrote:

I have found my local credit union to be non helpful when it comes to my financial needs and have decided to switch to someone else. I have a penfed membership and am thinking about them but wanted to see if I could find out more first and if they are a good choice for a main bank even with no branch access?

I have been a member for more than 6 months so are external transfers instant?  If not, what are the average waiting times for funds to be available?

Overdraft line of credit: Average limit with this type of product? Does it report to the CRAs?

Are transfers from Premium online savings instant to checking accounts or does the 5 day rule apply?

Thank you very much in advance for any information provided about this I appreciate it.

Update 12/14/22:  I would be very wary of using PenFed. They have just implemented the weirdest restriction yet.

When I tried to do a 2nd credit balance transfer, I got the following message:

You've reached your daily limit
warning
You are allowed one balance transfer per day. This includes withdrawals and cash advances.

1.  They don't "care" if you have direct deposit but as with all institutions there are certain advantages to having it.

2.  I have found that sometimes external transfers are posted instantly. I don't know if it's all the time, however.

3.  Their overdraft line of credit has a prohibitively high interest rate, so I would avoid it. Their regular personal line of credit has a more reasonable rate. But I don't know if they're even offering that any more.

4.  I don't know the answer on mobile deposits. Sorry.

5.  Internal transfers are usually instant, sometimes next business day. PenFed, oddly, has a limit of 1 transfer per account per day.

I find transfers in and out are faster than with most institutions, as are their credit card balance transfers.  All in all, PenFed's services can be pretty powerful. It has its oddities, though.

My advice would be to start using the accounts, and get the feel of it, and then if it feels right, take that plunge into its being your primary online account.  I have a number of credit union relationships, and PenFed is certainly a strong choice to be a primary institution.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 32
user979797
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the great info. I'll give them a shot.

>
Message 5 of 32
user979797
Established Contributor

I am not impressed at all so far with my new PenFed checking. External transfers are held each time as are mobile deposits (both for 5 biz days). Also with billpay, even if electronic pay is available when i go to make a payment i get a error message about transfer limitations and that the payment must be sent by check. This is super slow banking and not what I am used to and not what I expected from PenFed since I have credit products with them as well.

I am hoping that even though I was a member for over 6 months before I opened the account, that this is all happening because it's the first 30 days and hopefully next month I will see better service and speed with my transactions. If this is how it will be past the 30 day mark I will probably go through the hassle of switching and finding a new checking yet again this will be too slow for me when other banks can do much faster.

I will update after the inital 30 days and report if things have changed. If anyone else has experienced this and after 30 days it was faster please chime in. Thanks.

>
Message 6 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@user979797 wrote:

I am not impressed at all so far with my new PenFed checking. External transfers are held each time

I've never experienced that with them; I have found them to be super fast. Maybe it has to do with the new account/6-month thing.

as are mobile deposits (both for 5 biz days). Also with billpay, even if electronic pay is available when i go to make a payment i get a error message about transfer limitations and that the payment must be sent by check.

I have never experienced that; have found that electronic payments from bill pay are as fast as it gets.

This is super slow banking and not what I am used to and not what I expected from PenFed since I have credit products with them as well.

I am hoping that even though I was a member for over 6 months before I opened the account, that this is all happening because it's the first 30 days and hopefully next month I will see better service and speed with my transactions.

I'm sure it has something to do with the newness of the account.

If this is how it will be past the 30 day mark I will probably go through the hassle of switching and finding a new checking yet again this will be too slow for me when other banks can do much faster.

I will update after the inital 30 days and report if things have changed. If anyone else has experienced this and after 30 days it was faster please chime in. Thanks.

My advice would be to let it sit for awhile and then try again after some time has passed, or to call customer service with a list of the issues and see if they're related to it being a new account.

Update 12/14/22: My new advice, for reasons expressed elsewhere, is to avoid PenFed.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@user979797 wrote:

One question is what are your financial needs that aren't being met?  Fairly generic ones from the questions above, or do you need Medallion-signed documents, accept deposits denominated in foreign currency etc

Message 8 of 32
creditfan
Established Contributor

if penfed is not working out for you. You might try out alliant CU or DCU

Message 9 of 32
user979797
Established Contributor

Spoke with Customer service and they were very helpful and this is standard for new accounts regaurdless of membership tenure so I am sticking with Penfed as I believe after 30 days things will be faster. On a more positive note they write up direct and electronic deposits super fast and I really appreciate that. Smiley Happy

>
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.