Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed returned my money.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed returned my money.

PenFed returned my income tax refund and stimulus check to IRS. Every rep I called had different answers. I requested to talk with a supervisor and he said it was returned due to my wife not being on my checking account. I filed married filing jointly. I received my last year refund and both stimulus check in the same PenFed checking account before. Does Navy, DCU, or Unify do that also? I have account with them also thinking about switching over to them if they don't to avoid future problems.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed returned my money.

WOW I am so sorry just WOW. I wouls have been pixxed Hugs

Message 2 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PenFed returned my income tax refund and stimulus check to IRS. Every rep I called had different answers. I requested to talk with a supervisor and he said it was returned due to my wife not being on my checking account. I filed married filing jointly. I received my last year refund and both stimulus check in the same PenFed checking account before. Does Navy, DCU, or Unify do that also? I have account with them also thinking about switching over to them if they don't to avoid future problems.

That is not a valid reason to return your income tax refund and stimulus check.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 19
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

By any chance was your wife's SSN primary on this year's filing?

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KatSoDak wrote:

By any chance was your wife's SSN primary on this year's filing?

No I am the primary.

Message 5 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, and it is outrageous Penfed did this, Penfed is basically saying they question if the IRS knows what they're doing and they know better than the IRS. At a minimum Penfed should have just had the credits pending and not in Available Balance while they request whatever documentation is neccessary. And now @Anonymous is screwed, there's no way add a new direct deposit account with the IRS until nexxt year's filing, so aptiger will have to wait for the IRS to figure out what happened and eventually snail mail checks.  

I've had accounts with Penfed since 2017 but I'll now make sure they never get anything from the IRS even though I've been divorced and happily single for almost 40 years. 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They said it's their way of knowing that my spouse knows about the refund. They will never see any IRS check anymore in my account.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, and it is outrageous Penfed did this, Penfed is basically saying they question if the IRS knows what they're doing and they know better than the IRS. At a minimum Penfed should have just had the credits pending and not in Available Balance while they request whatever documentation is neccessary. And now @Anonymous is screwed, there's no way add a new direct deposit account with the IRS until nexxt year's filing, so aptiger will have to wait for the IRS to figure out what happened and eventually snail mail checks.  

I've had accounts with Penfed since 2017 but I'll now make sure they never get anything from the IRS even though I've been divorced and happily single for almost 40 years. 

I contacted IRS for my refund they said gonna take about 5 weeks. PenFed will never see any IRS deposit in my account anymore. 

Message 8 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I contacted IRS for my refund they said gonna take about 5 weeks. PenFed will never see any IRS deposit in my account anymore. 

You got through to the IRS??? That's what I call perseverance, and I don't mean that spacecraft up on Mars. Smiley LOL

If Penfed did this to me I'm not sure they'd ever see any deposit from me again. They could have contacted you and ask you to add your spouse to the account to "make sure they know about it", as if that's any of their business. Is Penfed now branching out to spousal counseling?  

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You got through to the IRS??? That's what I call perseverance, and I don't mean that spacecraft up on Mars. Smiley LOL

If Penfed did this to me I'm not sure they'd ever see any deposit from me again. They could have contacted you and ask you to add your spouse to the account to "make sure they know about it", as if that's any of their business. Is Penfed now branching out to spousal counseling?  

Lmao I was determined. I am taking other deposits away soon. I am trying to figure out who to bank with full time since I do have Navy, DCU, and Unify credit unions.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.