Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Premium Online Savings

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Penfed Premium Online Savings

Hi all,

Thinking of opening up one of these accounts. Anyone have one that can share their experience with it. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Penfed Premium Online Savings

No direct experience, but 1.65%?

Realistically should be CD laddering that or something in 12 month increments at 2.35% over that just looking at the Penfed savings page.  I don't know, my general opinion about savings acounts are do something different with the money as 1.65% doesn't even break even with inflation right now.

        
Message 2 of 20
CramEiko
Established Contributor

I just parked some money in a 12 month CD at 2.35%. I was making .0000000001% sitting in my Chase Savings account. Besides PenFed is now at 2.45% for the same 12 month CD. Locking it in for longer doesn't make sence to me either as all the rates have been moving up lately. So if you can park some savings to the side why not? The big banks aren't even close except Capital One 360 at 2.4% for a 12 month CD.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 20
Tazman81
Established Contributor

I have their Premium Online Savings account open.  A couple of nuances:

1. You must fund the initial minimum deposit of $5 from an outside institution.  You cannot pull from a current PenFed checking or savings account.  (yes, baffled me as well, I even spoke with a rep)
  2. Transfer from a PenFed account are credit to the balance immediately to start earning interest, but will not be part of your Available Balance for 6 business days

When you apply online, if you are already a PenFed member, the account opens instantly.  Also, if you have the PowerCash Rewards card, then you can push your rewards to this account.  It is typically credit the next day and doesn't follow the same 6 business day hold mentioned above.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Realistically should be CD laddering that or something in 12 month increments at 2.35% over that just looking at the Penfed savings page.  I don't know, my general opinion about savings acounts are do something different with the money as 1.65% doesn't even break even with inflation right now.

Some people like the flexibility of the savings account so they can easily grab some money when it's needed. 

Realistically, one who wants to put their money away for over a year should be investing it and getting a 3%+ return on it plus dividends. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

I did the math on my 12-month ladder. With the rate increases we've been seeing over the last year, I would've done just as well leaving my money in savings all along. The rate increases could always slow down or reverse, but they could also increase more quickly as well.

Message 6 of 20
minski
Established Contributor

I thought about putting money away into CDs but like you said, GrasshopperStudent, with the rate increases we've been seeing, I am hesitant to do so until they slow down.
Message 7 of 20
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I did the math on my 12-month ladder. With the rate increases we've been seeing over the last year, I would've done just as well leaving my money in savings all along. The rate increases could always slow down or reverse, but they could also increase more quickly as well.

Yep. I wouldn't touch a CD right now for any duration. Not at all being political here, but the recent tax cut will raise the federal deficit over a trillion dollars this year. And foreign governments hold huge amounts of U.S. Treasury debt. Russia is already dumping their holdings of t-bills over sanctions, China holds a huge amount and may lighten their holdings over the tariffs. With more debt and fewer buyers interest rates could increase quickly.

As for the Penfed premium savings, I have their regular savings that only pays one or two tenths of a percent, but I only keep a hundred bucks or so there to maintain membership for my HELOC. Even my Memory Bank checking account with unlimited transactions pays almost as much as Penfed "premium" savings.

Message 8 of 20
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Tazman81 wrote:

1. You must fund the initial minimum deposit of $5 from an outside institution.  You cannot pull from a current PenFed checking or savings account.  (yes, baffled me as well, I even spoke with a rep)
  2. Transfer from a PenFed account are credit to the balance immediately to start earning interest, but will not be part of your Available Balance for 6 business days

When you apply online, if you are already a PenFed member, the account opens instantly.  Also, if you have the PowerCash Rewards card, then you can push your rewards to this account.  It is typically credit the next day and doesn't follow the same 6 business day hold mentioned above.

I missed this little tidbit above ^^^^. I've been a member since May 2017, and remember all too well the royal pain it is for the first 6 months with limits & holds. I had Share, Checking & PCR card on opening and then a Home Equity LOC. When I got the PayPal 2% MC in 2018 with much higher CL than PCR I decided PCR and the checking weren't worth it and closed them and reduced the Share to a bare minimum. If I didn't have the HELOC I would closed everything, but the HELOC is pretty good, Prime+0% (currently 5.5%) for up to 80% LTV, and I was approved for the interest only minimum payment option, and LOC is good for 15 years.

But yesterday I decided to open the Premium Online Savings to strengthen my relationship. Yep, surprised that the only funding option for the new account was an ACH from an external account - or mail them a check! - so I pulled $10 from my local CU and got the account opened. Then I moved in $1k from the HELOC. So today I check and see the balance is $1,010, but the Available Balance is $0.00. So I call, thinking maybe the $10 external initial funding needs to clear before everything is available. Nope, the rep tells me the 6 day hold for funds from any Penfed account. "For every new transfer, even from a Penfed account???" I ask, incredulous. "Yes".

OK, so the new "Premium" Savings will be closed next Tuesday Feb. 5 when my funds from another freaking Penfed account are released and I can transfer the funds out. I have accounts with higher interest, and don't/won't have any accounts with this kind of ridiculous hold on funds.

It's really, really hard to like Penfed.

Message 9 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

I missed this little tidbit above ^^^^. I've been a member since May 2017, and remember all too well the royal pain it is for the first 6 months with limits & holds. I had Share, Checking & PCR card on opening and then a Home Equity LOC. When I got the PayPal 2% MC in 2018 with much higher CL than PCR I decided PCR and the checking weren't worth it and closed them and reduced the Share to a bare minimum. If I didn't have the HELOC I would closed everything, but the HELOC is pretty good, Prime+0% (currently 5.5%) for up to 80% LTV, and I was approved for the interest only minimum payment option, and LOC is good for 15 years.

But yesterday I decided to open the Premium Online Savings to strengthen my relationship. Yep, surprised that the only funding option for the new account was an ACH from an external account - or mail them a check! - so I pulled $10 from my local CU and got the account opened. Then I moved in $1k from the HELOC. So today I check and see the balance is $1,010, but the Available Balance is $0.00. So I call, thinking maybe the $10 external initial funding needs to clear before everything is available. Nope, the rep tells me the 6 day hold for funds from any Penfed account. "For every new transfer, even from a Penfed account???" I ask, incredulous. "Yes".

OK, so the new "Premium" Savings will be closed next Tuesday Feb. 5 when my funds from another freaking Penfed account are released and I can transfer the funds out. I have accounts with higher interest, and don't/won't have any accounts with this kind of ridiculous hold on funds.

It's really, really hard to like Penfed.

It's just a temporary thing because it's a new account.

In some contexts PenFed gives me the fastest availability of any institution I have ever seen. E.g., when pulling a payment from an external account PenFed treats the payment as having arrived instantly and immediately credits the full amount of the payment to me, even though the ACH debit request hasn't even been received by the institution from which payment is being pulled. 

Yes it has a few peculiarities, but overall I think it's a valuable arrow to have in one's quiver.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.