Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about PenFed

tag
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

Question about PenFed

I was in the market for a personal loan since I will need extra cash soon and saw the low rates for PenFed.  I realize they are somewhat of a hit or miss based on posts here, but I wanted to join a credit union.  Since I have no experience with Credit Unions, I am not sure if what is happening is common or there is a problem.  Last Friday, I did the soft pull preapproval requesting $10k for 3 years.  It came back with a preapproval of $20k.  Since I only needed $10k, I accepted their terms (which at 10.99% I thought was a bit high, but better than the lowest rate Citi offers on my PLOC).  I then uploaded my tax returns (I am self employed) for 2 years along with my ID and SS.  I called several times early in this week on the status and was told 24-48 hours.  Then on Wednesday, I was told that I needed to upload my 2019 tax return (which I had done on the day I applied).  Once again saying 24-48 hours.  Nothing since.

My concern is that they need additional information that the csr's do not know what it may be and it is holding up the approval.  I was going to call and ask to speak to a manager in an attempt to find out if this is the case.  Any thoughts from the PenFed experts out there.  Is this normal for a new member?

Thank you.  

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about PenFed

Im not a PenFed expert but all of the verification docs aren't that odd, especially for a new member.

I would certainly give them a ring soon to see if anything else is needed or what's going on here.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.