Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question

Hi guys, Certified Financial Planner here. Quick question for you. In the interest of being financially free, I'm considering starting a small business. My day job is in Corporate Learning & Development. Day in & Day out, I design high-dollar, interactive, quiz-filled, game-filled on-demand courses for professionals on soft topics like Time Management, Organizing For Success, Recognition, etc. These courses are leaps and bounds above the stuff on udemy and have very interactive scenarios, drag and drop interactions, and more. Anyway, I'd like to take my instructional design skills to the personal finance arena and start a website that sells personal finance courses. These courses would be inexpensive and cover basics like loans and interest, and then go into more complex topics like investment management, creation of passive income, etc. What do you guys think? If you were on google and found such a site, what would you want to see in order to entice you to buy a low-cost course? Any courses in particular? (I'm thinking like $10 a pop)..

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick Question

If it were me I would make apple and android version and sell them on the apple and google play stores. I have  a relative who makes suff and sells it.  Most stuff sells for between $1 and $3 they also do custom apps. They make good money. 

Message 2 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

If I were to see a charge for something like this, I would likely deepen my search to get the information for free.

Maybe if you offered a free course, some may try it and find it valuable enough to buy additional courses.

Message 3 of 5
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Talk about credit on your possible site as well;that has a factor in returns on investments and networth. Offering free items to intice the learning palate(if its really good) some may pay for more customized items. I think there is an market for this(I am green when it comes to passive money).

Message 4 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys, Certified Financial Planner here. Quick question for you. In the interest of being financially free, I'm considering starting a small business. My day job is in Corporate Learning & Development. Day in & Day out, I design high-dollar, interactive, quiz-filled, game-filled on-demand courses for professionals on soft topics like Time Management, Organizing For Success, Recognition, etc. These courses are leaps and bounds above the stuff on udemy and have very interactive scenarios, drag and drop interactions, and more. Anyway, I'd like to take my instructional design skills to the personal finance arena and start a website that sells personal finance courses. These courses would be inexpensive and cover basics like loans and interest, and then go into more complex topics like investment management, creation of passive income, etc. What do you guys think? If you were on google and found such a site, what would you want to see in order to entice you to buy a low-cost course? Any courses in particular? (I'm thinking like $10 a pop)..

For me personally, there's not much that would entice me to drop any money on a course. I could possibly be convinced otherwise, but there's two issues you have to consider. 

First, a lot of information is already available online for free. You'll need to differentiate your courses in some way that demonstrate they provide value above and beyond what's out there for free already.

Second, the finance field is clogged with snake oil salesmen who claim they have the gift/insider information/etc that can get you ahead of your peers on investing. You need to be careful to present your courses in such a way that they don't look like just another attempt to part you from your money in exchange for useless or even misguided advice. I'm sure some of the 'you can make $X per month from your one-bedroom apartment!' hucksters tried to do the same thing, but the second they began to feel like get-rich-quick schemes it was game over.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.