Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung pay

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Samsung pay

This is pretty cool!  

*Edited* - Now, I understand why the cashier was wondering what Luker was trying to do.  Hahaha

Message 31 of 45
axlm
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

So, Samsung Pay works on any non-NFC POS terminal?  How's this even possible?

*obviously, I don't work in technology*

http://www.techinsider.io/how-magnetic-secure-transmission-works-on-samsung-pay-2015-9

And interestingly: http://www.nfcworld.com/2015/10/07/338522/nyt-reports-on-looppay-breach/

Edit: geez, how can I be so slow posting! I got caught by the hacking story Smiley LOL

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 32 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This is pretty cool!  

*Edited* - Now, I understand why the cashier was wondering what Luker was trying to do.  Hahaha

Right, in most cases when NFC is enabled in a store cashiers are "trained".  With Samsung Pay, you are dealing with untrained cashiers and waving a phone where they expect a credit card.   

Now I just need a credit card with a built in phone and I can do the opposite thing!

Message 33 of 45
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

On Samgsung's web page it says only 4 phones are compatible, true? 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 34 of 45
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

True. Only the s6, s6 edge, s6 edge+ and note 5.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 35 of 45
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
True. Only the s6, s6 edge, s6 edge+ and note 5.

I would have like to try it but my Note 4 doesn't qualify. I hope they add more phones..

Message 36 of 45
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I hope so too, although it's more due to hardware compatibility with previous phones not having the necessary components so if anything it'll be compatible with newer phones.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 37 of 45
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I hope so too, although it's more due to hardware compatibility with previous phones not having the necessary components so if anything it'll be compatible with newer phones.

Makes sense though it's not like the Note 4 is old, came out last year. I have a hard time believing they can't get this app to work with older phones. I like Samsung phones very much but IMO it's there way to get people to buy a new phone. 

Message 38 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mitchblue wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Makes sense though it's not like the Note 4 is old, came out last year. I have a hard time believing they can't get this app to work with older phones. I like Samsung phones very much but IMO it's there way to get people to buy a new phone. 

Samsung Pay isn't a matter of just getting an app to work.  The concept relies on specific hardware unique to the very latest Samsung phones.  Samsung actually bought the company a little while back (Loop) to be able to put the tech directly into their phones without requiring the user to use an external add-on.

If you really want the tech on an older phone, you can still get it directly from Loop:  https://www.looppay.com/

It wouldn't use the Samsung Pay app, but it's the same hardware that makes Samsung Pay possible.

Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd expect some merchants being suspicious of someone holding a phone next to the swiper on a non-NFC terminal to pay. The cashier may still expect to see the actual card. Negates much of the benefit of using Samesung Pay. Or is that not a problem?

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.