Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Job Options...

tag
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

Second Job Options...

Hi there, I’m looking to supplement my income, payoff some debt, and save for my own home. Does anyone have any advice on where i should start looking or any past experience to share with me? I’m on a five day work week at my current job and have two young boys. So I can dedicate one day a week and on the odd occasion two days a week for a side gig. All advice is appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
satio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Second Job Options...

@jzamarripa3220 wrote:
Hi there, I’m looking to supplement my income, payoff some debt, and save for my own home. Does anyone have any advice on where i should start looking or any past experience to share with me? I’m on a five day work week at my current job and have two young boys. So I can dedicate one day a week and on the odd occasion two days a week for a side gig. All advice is appreciated.

How handy are you in fixing things?

5 years ago I found myself with alot of extra time on my hands when I quit drinking for good so I "hung out a shingle" and made it known that I was available as a general handyman. Now I generate an extra 25-30k annually doing odd jobs along with some larger projects along the way.

Can you hang a ceiling fan or light fixture? Replace a toilet, sink faucet, or garbage disposal? Mow a yard? 

I have some construction experience in my background though it has not been my primary source of income and like to work with wood so in addition to these I take on jobs I like to do, fence or gate repairs or replacement, decks, interior and exterior trim. 

All generated from predominantly word of mouth. If you are honest and do good work, you will suddenly find your phone ringing off the hook and very busy.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uber (or Uber Eats if you don't want to drive people around)

Doordash

Rover

Clean out your house and sell things on eBay/Craigslist (this also just feels really good)

Message 3 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@jzamarripa3220 wrote:

The first obvious question I have is whether your current employer allows you to take a second hourly position somewhere. Some employers will have exclusivity and/or conflict-of-interest language in your contract that prohibits you from working any job with fixed hours that prevent you from being available 24/7 to your current employer (i.e., if you're an on-call position presently) or with another company in a similar field. The answer to this question may limit your choices considerably .. or completely.

The safest play in this situation is probably something contrator-y and flexible on when/how long you work, like driving for Uber/Lyft. Not that this world needs more drivers, but if your options open up beyond those you can do something you enjoy for some added money.

You also already have limited time with your children. Are you sure you want to cut into that time? Don't get me wrong, I applaud you trying to dig your way out of debt, but make sure you aren't filling that hole with dirt you just dug from another.

Message 4 of 13
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doordash

Rover

Clean out your house and sell things on eBay/Craigslist (this also just feels really good)

Sell things. I second this.

I have cleared alot of items that were just sitting around collecting dust. I also flip good used items that I know will sell for more if I am a little patient. I always watch for items being listed for sale in a few buy/sell groups or craigslist towards the end of the month when someone is moving and needs to sell fast.

I have also had good luck with buying/selling items I run across at neighborhood garage sales, namely tools.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You most likely SHOULD NOT drive for Uber/Lyft. Going to depend mainly on where you live, but simple math:

Here in LA Uber pays .60 per mile and .21 per minute. The IRS deductible for 2019 (what they believe it costs you to operate your vehicle) is $0.58 per mile.

Now, let's talk about deadmiles -- Driving to pick up a passenger, driving home after your shift, basically ANY distance you drive without a paying passenger in your car. Those all COST you money.

Even if you manage to do ZERO deadmiles and break out even there, IF you have a paying passenger in your car every second of every hour, you make $12.60 per hour at the expense of equity in your vehicle. Perhaps with a fully depreciated Prius costing around $0.35 per mile you can make some money, but otherwise, I'd say forget it, especially if you live in a major metro area like LA, Denver, Vegas, or Orlando. Rideshare companies have seriously taken advantage of the oversaturation of drivers in all of these areas and cut rates / bonuses down to nothing.

Check the rate cards for your area and know the cost to operate your vehicle before you decide. Factor in about a 1:1 ratio of deadmiles in your cost. Think of it this way -- If you get a 60 mile trip late at night or to an area with no return trip possible, your pay is half and you will likely lose money on the ride.

Message 6 of 13
shoegal
Valued Contributor

My advice is to freelance in some area that match your skills. It could be as a freelance writer, graphic designer, virtual assistant or any skill that you can pick up extra work from.

There are also part-time telecommuting jobs such as tutoring and customer service. For customer service, this time of the year is when they hired the most because of the holidays.

Get a subscription to FlexJobs for opportunities that aren't a scam or for free check on job or gig sites like Real Ways to Earn for all kinds of gig ideas, Problogger for writers, etc.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jzamarripa3220 wrote:
Honestly the best option I think for most people looking to make a little extra money is learning how to resell.  On your one day you have to dedicate that should be your sourcing day.  Hit up the thrift stores, yard sales, free things listed on craigslist, etc.  This really requires very little capital like a $100 or less to start.  You can buy CDs for example to flip online from some thrift stores that will sell them for $.50 a cd and find a few that are selling for $10 plus the buyer paying shipping on ebay. 

You can go to goodwill outlets and get clothing by the pound for like a $1.54 and find a vintage nfl champion tshirt from the 90's and be able to sell that for around $20 plus the buyer paying shipping with the tshirt costing you less than a dollar to buy.  You can make money doing this you just have to be willing to put in the time and leg work.  You won't become a Decamillionaire doing this but you can make enough money to be able to cover some basic bills like your phone bill, car issurance, netflix, etc.    
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

@jzamarripa3220 wrote:

The first obvious question I have is whether your current employer allows you to take a second hourly position somewhere. Some employers will have exclusivity and/or conflict-of-interest language in your contract that prohibits you from working any job with fixed hours that prevent you from being available 24/7 to your current employer (i.e., if you're an on-call position presently) or with another company in a similar field. The answer to this question may limit your choices considerably .. or completely.

Are there really any penalties other than losing your job in the vast majority of situations?

In which case you have a second anyway... there's a lot of freedom in many dimensions in not really caring if one of the gigs goes away.  The on call rotation thing isn't much of a concern: if things are breaking all the time pick a different company and other than that there generally isn't much overlap in my experience.

Ultimately if you get stuck you just pick one... and then go get another if you so choose once things have settled back down.

Will say as much as the income tax for little benefit to me is annoying in California, labor law is all in my favor.  What are they going to do, fire me?  Other states aren't as friendly towards labor admittedly... though in one little bit of amusement I was working at a vendor, and wound up on a project where said vendor's product was no bueno.  Ah well I have plenty of experience fading into the background and made it through unscathed.

        
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure don't envy your situation, I'm truly not looking forward to a career change after being at my job for 17 years. Unfortunately they were bought out by another Company and have slashed benefits, and some big policy changes. Plus I feel as if I've been there too long an the day to day thing are getting to me, so I'm not sure about staying there anymore. But I'm so out of the loop of the whole job hunting that it isn't funny, the landscape has changed drastically.

Uber once seemed very plausible, but now I hear so many bad things about it. I think only having one day available seriously limits your possibilities, unless maybe you be Santa at a Mall one whole day. Depending on you field of expertise, maybe become a free'lance consultant? You might also look into some of those work from home options, but most seem like scams. 

There's always those minimum wage jobs such as fast food or retail.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.