cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoFi Money requires phone call to close unused account registered online...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SoFi Money requires phone call to close unused account registered online...

This is super frustrating... I have a personal loan account with SoFi, they send me an email advertising their savings/checking/debit account, I register online, then they tell me all the requirements and benefits and I'm like... no. I can't upturn my life as they expect for this.

I check my account and their site for how to cancel... nothing. I email their support requesting cancelation, they reply saying I have to call a number. OK great; now I have to take time out of my workday or lunch to call their support and sit on hold or go through menus or get someone with a thick accent or who doesn't understand what they're doing or who tries to talk me out of it or upsells...

This is really ridiculous; why it's not a federal law to require companies to let people cancel accounts online that they registered for online is beyond me (I don't care if you hate the federal government, that's not my issue). Is there some law saying the customer has to call to cancel a financial account? It makes no sense to require a phone call for something signed up for online, especially on an already-existing account where I've done EVERYTHING online. If this is simply their business/marketing policy, then I've told them I'll call my lawyer before calling them. If I have to call them, they'll be getting as many bad reviews in as many places I can stand to leave them.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
hayhayhayday
Established Member

Re: SoFi Money requires phone call to close unused account registered online...

I have always cancelled by fax(my fax or fax zero are free online fax services) to banks that have this policy.

Name, address acct number please close account

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SoFi Money requires phone call to close unused account registered online...

I don't have a fax machine... what? That's even more inconvenient than calling... and should be totally unnecessary.

I signed up online, through email, so guess what... I should be able to cancel and unsubscribe online too, right? Does that seem fair or does fairness only mean --> for the company?

Companies are required to provide an unsubscribe link in emails when you subscribe... through email! So, of course, they should be required to allow cancellation online of an account registered online... not this deceptive and manipulative "business" practice of requiring a non-sequiter phone call for an online registration. All it's there for is to try to inconvenience you into staying on board, but if a company is offering inconvenience to their customers, they really are not in business for what they say they are and are showing a lack of confidence in their product, making it a double-whammy of negative aura for them - not something I want to remember them by.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.