Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(UPDATE- Resolved) Penfed cannot pull my Equifax for checking account

tag
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

(UPDATE- Resolved) Penfed cannot pull my Equifax for checking account

I have been trying to open a Penfed checking account since yesterday. I tried once online and three times over the phone. For some reason they cannot access my Equifax report using a soft inquiry. On their end they get a message 'bureau unavailable'. The rep said that is the message they get when the credit report is locked.

I have never locked any of my credit reports before. I have a myEquifax account and on there it shows that my report is not frozen. I have also called Equifax and they say my report is not locked or frozen. I pulled my report from annualcreditreport.com to see if I was able to get a copy and I was able to. It does show a soft inquiry from Penfed even though Penfed says they cannot access it.

Since I already have a Penfed savings account, they have the information for submitting the inquiry. I verified my name, address, and ssn with Penfed and it is all correct and it matches my credit report.

Any ideas what is happening here? Is there some other way I can test if my Equifax report(via soft pull) is unnaccessible in general? Credit Karma last checked on the 24th.

Thanks in advance.

We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed cannot pull my Equifax for checking account

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

I have been trying to open a Penfed checking account since yesterday. I tried once online and three times over the phone. For some reason they cannot access my Equifax report using a soft inquiry. On their end they get a message 'bureau unavailable'. The rep said that is the message they get when the credit report is locked.

I have never locked any of my credit reports before. I have a myEquifax account and on there it shows that my report is not frozen. I have also called Equifax and they say my report is not locked or frozen. I pulled my report from annualcreditreport.com to see if I was able to get a copy and I was able to. It does show a soft inquiry from Penfed even though Penfed says they cannot access it.

Since I already have a Penfed savings account, they have the information for submitting the inquiry. I verified my name, address, and ssn with Penfed and it is all correct and it matches my credit report.

Any ideas what is happening here? Is there some other way I can test if my Equifax report(via soft pull) is unnaccessible in general? Credit Karma last checked on the 24th.

Thanks in advance.

Call Equfax 800 and ask them is there a freeze on your report.

Message 2 of 8
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. This has been resolved - finally, they were able to open the checking account.

I forgot to mention I was also calling Equifax and they were telling me there was no freeze or lock. Well on my second call to Penfed today the CSR was able to open it. Nothing changed from Equifax's side, so I have no idea what was happening on the first four attempts.

Back to the garden
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. This has been resolved - finally, they were able to open the checking account.

I forgot to mention I was also calling Equifax and they were telling me there was no freeze or lock. Well on my second call to Penfed today the CSR was able to open it. Nothing changed from Equifax's side, so I have no idea what was happening on the first four attempts.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 8
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Glad you were able to resolve the issue -and- congrats on opening a PenFed checking account. 

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is phone number to Equifax? I've had similar issue with another lender? Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Glad you were able to resolve the issue -and- congrats on opening a PenFed checking account. 

Thanks

Back to the garden
Message 7 of 8
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

What is phone number to Equifax? I've had similar issue with another lender? Thanks.

I used the Equifax phone number provided to me by PenFed 1-800-685-1111.

As far as I know, Equifax did not really do anything except verify to me there was not lock or freeze on my report. Good luck.

Back to the garden
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.