Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US bank debit card

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: US bank debit card

@chiefone4u  No we got our stimulus check.

@DaveInAZ  Good idea I will call them first at least they can tell me if unemployment contacted them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 11 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@sxa001 

Yes makes me mad and not sure how the scam works since the card was sent to me and I would have to activate it?

But our local office like all I am sure is bombarded, makes me angry I will probably be on hold forever on Monday but I gotta report this .

Before going through trying to get through to the unemployment office you might just report it to your employer. As @Remedios indicated when they receive a unemployment claim the first thing they do is contact your (supposedly) former employer for their side of the situation, as you have to lose your job through no fault of your own to qualify for benefits. When your employer responds that you did not lose your job and are in fact still employed that should be the end of it.

It usually works this way, but I have had a few employees who were continually employed affected by this and I never received anything prior to the monetary determination letter.  My assumption is the fraudsters may be using loopholes such as domestic violence, where often no employer response is requested.

Message 12 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I called my employer they have not been notified but are going to double check everything and call me back. I was on hold for 2 hours and still didn't get a live person from unemployment and there is no option for my problem to choose😡, I called the issuer back about the problem they made sure the card/account couldn't be activated and said it may be fraud and told me to lock reports and contact several agencies etc.

i have locked EXP and TU but can't remember my EQ password and have requested it sent to email and tried twice and go no email reset 😡.

Oh what a day 🥺

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 13 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Also I have locked before but if someone does try to apply for something will I get an alert? I have always unlocked when I wanted to apply so I assume I get alert if someone tries?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 14 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Also I have locked before but if someone does try to apply for something will I get an alert? I have always unlocked when I wanted to apply so I assume I get alert if someone tries?

@Jnbmom, When mine are locked (Lock EX through EX and TU/EQ through paid TU basic)

I get alerts .. if I even ask for a CLI and they try to HP and push alerts to the Apps on my phone, also emails.

(All 3 bureaus are/were locked)

Message 15 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@M_Smart007 

Thank you 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious though, how is it helping the fraudster if the debit cards are sent to you? 

Message 17 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious though, how is it helping the fraudster if the debit cards are sent to you? 

I have no idea how the scam/fraud would work when I am in possession of the card . Unless they have done  an elaborate scheme to report they changed addresses or something.

Just bothers me that someone may have used my name etc. And what other info they may have 🥺

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 18 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no idea how the scam/fraud would work when I am in possession of the card . Unless they have done  an elaborate scheme to report they changed addresses or something.

Just bothers me that someone may have used my name etc. And what other info they may have 🥺

I was trying to figure out what @Anonymous had said, The only thing I can think of? ..

maybe they call and report that they never received it?, and possibly say they've moved or some other thing?

and have the card re-sent to another address? .. this is all speculation on my part.

But you never know what length, these fraudsters will go through these days.

@Jnbmom, Yes .. I would be bothered by it also! ..What does a Debit card lead to?

I read about "Synthetic Identity theft"  ... crazy!!!

I was really bothered when I had seen a HP on my report,

from a Toyota dealer about 100 miles away, fortunately, they never got the car, and no "NEW" tradeline showed up on my report.

I am not paranoid, but I have as many alerts set up as reasonably possible for credit monitoring,

and I now keep all (3) credit bureau's locked.

I had added this little snip to someone dealing with possible BBVA CC fraud. (It just aint gonna get any better)

"Reports of credit card fraud jumped 104% from 2019 to early 2020. To put this into perspective, from 2017 to 2019, there was a 27% increase in reported fraud cases, marking a major difference. Luckily, the FTC was able to return $232.3 million to victims of identity theft and fraud during 2019 alone."

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.