Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Products & Services - thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Products & Services - thoughts?

So apparently I signed up for USAA when I was enlisted in 2005. Totally forgot all about this. Anyone have any great experiences with them? Any products you’d recommend? I had a preselected offer as soon as I logged in for the Amex rewards.
21 REPLIES 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA Products & Services - thoughts?

@Anonymous  are you talking about their CC or something else? 

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Insight on any of their products and services - positive or negative is kindly appreciated. 

Message 3 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Ok. I asked your thread be moved for better exposure.
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! 

Message 5 of 22
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So apparently I signed up for USAA when I was enlisted in 2005. Totally forgot all about this. Anyone have any great experiences with them? Any products you’d recommend? I had a preselected offer as soon as I logged in for the Amex rewards.

I've been with them for about 3 years now and I have 2 credit cards, car insurance and renters insurance with them. The rates on my insurance are very competitive compared to my area and when I did need them when I was rear ended a few years ago, they handled everything for me and although they totaled my car out they didnt low ball me on the offer. I've enjoyed my time with them and refer others.

As for my credit cards, I have the Amex rewards and Rate advantage visa and there is not a minimum limit as to when I can redeem my rewards (cash back). So this comes in handy with the 5% back on gas which I use often.

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate the extensive reply. I’ve read mostly good things about them. I did app the Amex Rewards and was approved for $1500 SL. Do they grow their cards in your experience?

Also very interesting on the insurance piece. I’m shopping coverage on my Jeep that I just refinanced with Navy. Also refinanced my Optima with PenFed but that will be paid off quickly. Probably be auto shopping next year.

Mortgage shopping first. March 2020. 😊
Message 7 of 22
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I've been a USAA member for 30 years with house & auto insurance and an old "standard" VISA.

USAA used to be clearly better than their competition for insurance products. Now, not so much.

They are competitive, but not world beating. Same with their vaunted customer service.

If you find products they offer that meet your needs, they are still a good provider. Just be

sure to shop around. The days where it wasn't necessary to comparison shop USAA because

they were clearly and undeniably the best are over.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had car insurance at one time.  I had a prequal for the Rate Advantage card with a solid APR of around 14+%.  I know their rates(currently) go below 9%.  I was curious what kind of score do you need to qualify for the lowest rate.  That APR offer, along with a letter telling me that my premiums were increasing, prompted me to get other insurance quotes.  My last 6 month insurance premium was quoted at  $541.20($90.20 monthly) from USAA.  Today I pay $278 for 6 months($46.33).  I am saving $526.40 per year by going with another company.

I have learned not to even click around on the website.  I was curious what car financing rates they offer so I was just clicking around to learn more.  I was savagely getting phone calls from their financing department when I wasn't even in the market for a car.  All I did was click for more info.

They do not offer an incentive to pay your insurance policy in full.  It is the same price whether you pay month to month or pay for a 6 month term.  I was paying monthly by just having them charge it to my Amex card.  They could never get the billing correct.  You would think that a 6 month policy would be 6 equal payments.  It wasn't for me.  I couldn't figure out why.  I called the first CSR and felt good that it was resolved.  All that happened was I could no longer view my policy online.  The 2nd CSR certainly fixed my access problem but never fixed the billing.  So I just said the heck with it.  I'm on auto pay anyway so I let them charge whatever.

I'll always be a full member but this experience left me irritated.  If they can't get a simple bill fixed, what would the process be like if I had to deal with a insurance claim?  What about a credit card issue?  No thanks.  I know people who are satisfied and that have very favorable views of USAA.  Glad to hear it.  Due to my experience, it is unlikely I will ever get any USAA products now or in the future.

Message 9 of 22
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I have been a USAA member since I was on my Dad's insurance policy as a teen. Been with them for a long time.

USAA has been a great company for my family but that does not mean I am not continuing to shop around.

From a banking perspective, they are awesome. My paycheck arrives a day early and it is easy to deposit or transfer money. I can do the mobile deposit or pull money from another institution and the money is instantly available. 

I have a few credit cards with USAA and they are useful. Low-interest rates and getting a cash advance to my checking account is simple with a relatively low rate 10-11% (no fee). Every so often they have 0% balance transfers. If you pay over the minimum payment this month it credits next month and you will have no minimum due. I rarely carry a balance, but the option is nice.

I previously have their auto loan service but have had better rates with PenFed and NFCU in the past few years. Not quite as competitive as they once were. Their blank check auto loans do make shopping easy.

Finally, I am in the process of getting quotes from other insurance companies. I have auto, homeowners, and an umbrella insurance policy with USAA. Another increase this term along with advice from various financial talking heads has sent me to an insurance broker. Still waiting to hear from them.

USAA does let me pay for my insurance with a credit card monthly with no fee. My NFCU Cashback card is offering an extra 5% on top of the normal 1.5% CB on purchases over $500 in December. Saved $46 in CB for paying my bill...

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.