Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA cash back checking ending

tag
disney2
Regular Contributor

USAA cash back checking ending

I received an email a week or so ago about this program ending but today received a packet of documents about it.  What are the advantages of this account now?  It looks like a regular checking account to me.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA cash back checking ending

Hope @UncleB sees this post!
Message 2 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Yeah, I got the memo on that as well... thankfully I'm not impacted since I already have the 'regular' checking account.

USAA isn't what they used to be.  I've been using them for over 10 years for my primary checking and until recently things were always really good.  Then a few weeks ago I got "mysteriously" locked-out of my accounts... all of them. Smiley Indifferent

It was corrected on the next working day (I realized I was locked out on Saturday, and it was a holiday weekend), but being locked-out from accessing my own funds - even only for a few days - isn't something I'm willing to tolerate.  The worst part, I have no idea what caused it... I'm really 'ordinary' with my banking.  I have direct deposit, and I use billpay; that's about it.  I know they're having a really big issue with fraud right now (even including some internal fraud) so maybe it's just growing pains, but I really need stability when it comes to where I bank.  They're now relegated to holding just enough of my money that I can use their no-fee ATM feature when needed.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB

Also other readers, you will find accessing a search engine, the FDIC and the San Antonio Press Express-News (thank you for the correction) to will give you a good solid back ground on problems related to USAA Federal Savings Bank back to 2015 and carrying through to today.

No, it is not always the big banks that have challenges. Will not say more but there are very good reasons why there is a loss of benefits and services. Smiley Mad

Note, there have been comments going back on this subject in this Forum.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also other readers, you will find accessing a search engine, the FDIC and the San Antonio Press will give you a good solid back ground on problems related to USAA Federal Savings Bank back to 2015 and carrying through to today.

Thanks, though it's the San Antonio Express-News. (I ended up trying a couple search engines before I figured it out.)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also other readers, you will find accessing a search engine, the FDIC and the San Antonio Press will give you a good solid back ground on problems related to USAA Federal Savings Bank back to 2015 and carrying through to today.

Thanks, though it's the San Antonio Express-News. (I ended up trying a couple search engines before I figured it out.)

Thank you for the update/correction (adjusted the posting). Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@disney2  I took a look at the current USAA checking and savings rates at USAA. The savings rates you can do better. I use Discover Bank some on this forum do not like Discover for various reasons.  I have banked with them for a while (10+ years). I have their debit card checking for over 2 years now which you receive 1% cash back on debit card purchases plus it almost fee free. I had one minor problem with their E-Bill feature which was fixed.  If you decide to stay with USAA or leave that is your decision.  You need to do what you think is best for you.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 8
OmarR
Established Contributor

Count me in as someone who has also "left" USAA.

They originally stole me away from Chase Bank back in 2017 with their Limitless Rewards 2.5% CB VISA, but now that that has ended, I'm back with Chase again. Like Uncle B, I'm a pretty simple user, with my bank being my "cash on hand" for Bill Pay and *MAYBE* occasionally withdrawing cash from an ATM. I'm hardly a cash person, but with Chase seemingly having a branch/atm every 2 miles in my area, I can walk in with proof and documents in-hand should my accounts be frozen or other problems.

Now that Chase has MFA/2FA and are trying to go "early DD", USAA was just not competitive enough for me. I'll keep their VISA SD'ed and a little bit of money in a checking account with them in case they have better offers in the future.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.