cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB CoBranded Cards qualify for Gold checking?

tag
Koopa

USB CoBranded Cards qualify for Gold checking?

I'm not sure if this should be in here or another category so let me know if I need to move it. 

Does anyone know if having one the US Bank cobranded credit cards (like the Kroger card) would qualify for the free USB Gold Checking? I have done a good bit of searching across MyFico, Google and Reddit and can't really find answers about the cobranded cards since there aren't many and the Kroger cards only recently got buffed
to really be worth having. 

I'm likely going to get one of the sister Kroger cards that have 3% categories instead of the fuel discount in the not so distant future. If it qualifies for the free Gold Checking then I'd probably move over to them as my local b&m bank to deposit/withdraw cash so I don't have to worry about a minimum balance like I do currently. 

8 REPLIES 8
dssgaffler
Valued Member

Re: USB CoBranded Cards qualify for Gold checking?

Yes any US Bank held credit card would qualify one for the free Gold Checking account.  The only US Bankish credit cards that would not likely qualify one for free Gold Checking would be the formally State Farm credit cards or Elan credit cards.

Discover IT $25k | AMEX BCP $25k | PenFed Power Cash $25k | Citi DC $25k | US Bank Cash+ $25k | Chase Amazon $25k | BofA CCR $25k | WF $25k |Chase Freedom $23k | UMB $18k | Citi CC $17k
Message 2 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Just call US Bank and find out. I have US Bank Platinum and Harely ( issued by US Bank) and I get free gold checking. I am not sure which card qualified me for free gold checking. I think co-branded Harley. It is  been a while and I do not remember.

Message 3 of 9
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Just to add a DP, any of the US Bank Business cards do not count towards free checking nor do the secured versions of thier personal cards....I had called a while ago to ask.....

Message 4 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Just to add a DP, any of the US Bank Business cards do not count towards free checking nor do the secured versions of thier personal cards....I had called a while ago to ask.....

That is not true. I had personal secured cards and I was able to get free gold checking account. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

Just call US Bank and find out. I have US Bank Platinum and Harely ( issued by US Bank) and I get free gold checking. I am not sure which card qualified me for free gold checking. I think co-branded Harley. It is  been a while and I do not remember.

If my memory serves me, the USBank Platinum Checking [as a benefit of the checking account] allows you to add other US Bank Checking Accounts (your choice) with no relationship to having a credit card(s) for it!

Message 6 of 9
Koopa

@dssgaffler wrote:

Yes any US Bank held credit card would qualify one for the free Gold Checking account.  The only US Bankish credit cards that would not likely qualify one for free Gold Checking would be the formally State Farm credit cards or Elan credit cards.

Ok thank you and everyone else for the responses. I know that's how I interpreted it since they are actually backed by USB but I just wanted someone that had first hand experience with a cobranded card and getting the fee waived on gold checking. 

Message 7 of 9
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

I had an REI Card issued by USBank before my Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and it allowed me to have a free Gold checking. At the time I even reached out to USBank via Facebook in 2020 when I got approved for the REI Card and asked them the same question myself, i'll provide a screenshot of it!usbankreiwaiver.png

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 8 of 9
Koopa

Cool, thanks. That definitely is nice to have direct confirmation. I am going to get a Max Cash for utilities and AT&T as my next card but a Kroger sister brand card is very likely the one after that for 5% mobile wallet. Will be nice to not have to worry about a minimum to avoid fees on my brick and mortar bank account since I don't really use it for anything more than the rare cash deposit.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.