Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usaa

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Usaa

My hubby recently joined USAA through his mother's membership. We are seeing if we can save on car insurance.  I was also curious about their credir csrds, when I clicked on it it stated he wasn't eligible to apply?? I am missing something??

Just got email stated he didn't meet USAA's current membership eligibility criteria for insurance or banking products?? I don't get it?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Usaa

Has he given them a call and asked?

Message 2 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Just got off the phone, apparently she has to call and give them his member ID number and add him as a family member then he should be eligible?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usaa has amazing car insurance. Amazing other insuranxe products too. I’ll always have them, highly recommend.
Message 4 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Well my MIL called as per their instructions and the rep said no my husband and her have to be together to do this on the phone? This is beyond ridiculous SMH

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a little trouble i understanding who is calling at each of these junctures.  I may have also misunderstood what the original post meant when it said "My hubby recently joined USAA through his mother's membership."

I had assumed it meant that indeed he had become a full member of USAA (in which case he'd have a savings account in his own name at least).  If indeed he had become a full member of USAA (rather than merely an AU on someone's card) then he'd be certainly entitled to call USAA to discuss his account and other possible products.

It sounds like (maybe) other people are calling on his behalf or that (maybe) he never became a full member of USAA (but perhaps rather he was only an AU on someone's card).

The problem may be that he is not a full member yet with his own accounts or that he has but that other people are calling to ask questions about his membership and accounts.  In either case that might explain why the rep is reluctant to move forward without having him on the phone.

Message 6 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Sorry I will try to clarify more. He signed up to join for an  individual account and put in his mother's information (account number and social ) for eligibilty and it allowed him to open up a membership and gave him an account number.  We then tried to get a car insurance quote and they stated he was not eligible for any insurance or banking products. We then entered chat feature and the rep stated that his mother only had to contact them give his usaa member number and add him as a "family member" via chat/online or phone.

She called this morning and the rep stated they both would have to be present on the phone to do this. This sounds like a little overkill to me.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My father was a full member(US Army) and got me in by adding me under his account.  After that the membership number was already assigned but I did not have online access.  Once I had access, I could see other family members who were members of USAA.  I got my welcome packet with membership card in the mail after that.  

I have used them for car insurance in the past.  I like that they can go up to 100k in medical payments but they have been cancelled for more reasons than 1.  First they could never get my billing correct.  You would think that making a monthly payment on a six month policy that there would be 5 EQUAL payments left.  Wrong.  I called in to ask what the deal was and the lady said she straightened it out.  She didn't accomplish anything except shutting down my online access where I couldn't see my policy any longer.  I had to call now for the original problem AND get my online access back.  So I called and the guy on the phone actually fixed my problem with access and assumed he fixed the other problem.  Wrong again.  After 1 year of this, I got a notice that my insurance rates were increasing.  They were also offering their "Rate advantage" card that IIRC goes down to 8.65%.  However my rate was 14.65%.  WTH kind of a score do you have to be at to get their lowest rate?

Everytime I click on something on the website, I get some kind of response.  I was trying to see if I could find what kind of car rates they had for future reference so I was clicking around.  I savagely got called multiple times per day for 3 days straight from their car buying people.  I ended up getting a car insurance quote that was 42 dollars per month cheaper than what I was paying them with nearly identical coverage.  I know people who are very happy with them but I am a bit bitter with them from my experience.  It is no surprise that you seem to be getting the runaround and nobody can fix your problem.  

Message 8 of 18
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

What a cluster... Sorry..

My experience:

I added my son to my family member list online, he was then able to join, get his own member # and buy auto insurance immediately.

Perhaps, you could help/guide his mum on adding him to her family member list?

Good Luck.. 

Message 9 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks all. We finally after 3 chat sessions we got it done😓

Requested a quote 130 dollars more a month than we pay now😕 so didn't take that may try for a credit card down the road but looks like they might be on the conservative side.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.