Not applicable

Re: W4 question

Got it figured out.
Message 11 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Do you care to share in case another MyFICO Member has the same question?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care to share the DPs?

I also have a second job that has tax exempt wages, and i really dislike  aving to fork over $300 to H&R Block. lol

Thanks in advance.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super simple. Per the IRS website, if it is truly a tax exempt job you leave everything blank (beside your information of course) except line 7 where you write exempt. If you do this and it isn't tax free, you will hate life when they come for their money in a year. But for truly tax exempt jobs, that is all there is to the W4.
Message 14 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

And that’s what we basically said. Earning a certain income is not tax free. The government is going to get its money one way or the other—whether it’s in the beginning when one fills out the W4 or at the end when one filed his taxes. Ugh. In reality, filing exempt amounts to a delay tactic.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Super simple. Per the IRS website, if it is truly a tax exempt job you leave everything blank (beside your information of course) except line 7 where you write exempt. If you do this and it isn't tax free, you will hate life when they come for their money in a year. But for truly tax exempt jobs, that is all there is to the W4.

I have a hunch this OP is misinformed, and will, as you mention, wind up 'hating life' when tax return time comes around. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as tax exempt wages. There is such a thing as being exempt from withholding, but all that means is paying later -- and possibly being unpleasantly surprised when the time comes.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This particular job is government related and is tax exempt due to what it is. Everyone from the agency, lawyers and individuals already working it for several years can not be wrong. Employees who have been doing it 10 plus years would be have been hit if incorrect.
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll let you know next year if everyone turns out wrong
Message 18 of 25
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This particular job is government related and is tax exempt due to what it is.  Not gonna elaborate except to grimace & say: UGH! (No offense to you OP)

Everyone from the agency, lawyers and individuals already working it for several years can not be wrong. Employees who have been doing it 10 plus years would be have been hit if incorrect.  Trust No One!  I hope you consulted your own CPA/Tax Pro for your own circumstances. 

Good Luck  I hope it works out for you. I mean that sincerely.. I had a year where I owed $19,000. in taxes over a situation like this. Private sector though.. 

aaa1 Good Luck.gif

Message 19 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This particular job is government related and is tax exempt due to what it is. Everyone from the agency, lawyers and individuals already working it for several years can not be wrong. Employees who have been doing it 10 plus years would be have been hit if incorrect.

1.  Government wages are not exempt from income tax.

2. In your original post you said you were working for a new company. Now you say it's a government agency.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.