Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W4 question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: W4 question

New company/government agency, still new to me regardless of how it is titled and don't see why that matters.

Thanks for the thoughts and info.

Message 21 of 25
SBR249
Established Contributor

I think this horse has probably been beaten to death, but I'd say double check to make sure that the wages are actually non-taxable rather than not subject to withholding or exempt from FICA taxes. Also might be helpful to ask what kind of form they will provide you to report those wages at the end of the year (if at all), if it's a 1099G, I would be extra careful. 

I also work for a goverment agency (not a contractor) in a position where my wages are not subject to withholding or FICA. I am required to pay quarterly estimated taxes as a result and I get a 1099-G every year from my agency.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I will ask that. :-)
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, I cannot file exempt as I still have other taxable wages. I've tried filing online, but it causes an error when I try to leave the field blank like it's done on my W4. I have several W4's to input, all the ones that have Tax paid are fine. But when it comes to the one where there were no Taxes witheld, it cause problems. Tried doing it myself on paper and lost a good chunk of my hair. lol

Even H&R Block had a tough time figuring it out the first year. 

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: So, exempt was wrong, but has been corrected. Company HR department knew exactly what to do once I got the right person and she corrected it in the system. I will not be taxed, but explaining what she did went over my head so I can not explain.
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.