Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is using Debit Card nowdays?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is using Debit Card nowdays?

I currently use debit cards for virtually everything. Once my new Quicksilver arrives, I'm going to try using that credit card primarily instead to start gaining rewards. 

I have had fraud issues 3 times with my debit cards, and each time all fraudulent charges were erased from my account and money restored within a couple days. That seems like it would be the same turnaround for a credit card. So I don't see a difference there.

Message 51 of 81
msbia
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently use debit cards for virtually everything. Once my new Quicksilver arrives, I'm going to try using that credit card primarily instead to start gaining rewards. 

I have had fraud issues 3 times with my debit cards, and each time all fraudulent charges were erased from my account and money restored within a couple days. That seems like it would be the same turnaround for a credit card. So I don't see a difference there.

I totally agree with you. I use USAA checking and in all the years I've had it, only had fraud once and that was last year. Once I contacted them, they opened an investigation, never froze my funds at all, sent me a new debit card and I never had a worry. Got an email a month or so later that the investigation was complete and no further action was needed. In comparison, I've had fraud on a Chase card twice this year and eBates once. All was just as easily resolved as USAA debit. I love my debit! Heart Lol. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 52 of 81
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It all depends on your bank and how extensive the fraud was, from my experience. I had a friend who had multiple thousands drained from their account, and it took over a week for that money to get put back in there. (I don't know about you, but I do not want thousands of my dollars gone for a period of time without it making me some money.) 

With my credit cards, I've had them alert me usually, and if I find it.. it's just as easy. They immediately cancel the card, a new one is issued and sent overnight to me without any funds being held up. For me, that is the number 1 reason (tied with rewards) as to why I do not use a debit card for purchases.

In the moments when I need to use my debit card for purchases, I simply buy a number of Amazon gift cards, because I just don't want to take the risk. 

Message 53 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't had any fruad to speak of on any of my accounts but my dad had $20K dumped by some mafia guys who bought computers with it.  I use a Paypal Mastercard Business Debit card.  It debits from my wells fargo bank account and I get a 1% cash back on everything I spend it on if I run the card as credit.  Like at the grocery store it will give a reward if I say run as credit, but not online because there is no way to do that.  It's nice though if I spend $400 I get $4 and get a sandwich for free or something, idk. 

Message 54 of 81
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Some banks are really good about dealing with debit card fraud.

When I had BOA, they normally refunded you the fraud charges immediately, while they did there 10 day investigation.

But I also had Regions Bank and U.S. Bank and they don't.

They basically put the investigation in for 10 days and if it clears you get your funds back.

My major issue with it, is that would mean going 10 days without hard needed cash, IE bills up, food, and don't let the fraud charges causes OVERDRAFTS.

So depending on the bank, debit card fraud might not be too huge of a issue.

I personally would just rather use CC, better the banks money than mines.

Message 55 of 81
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@GalaxyStars wrote:

Some banks are really good about dealing with debit card fraud.

When I had BOA, they normally refunded you the fraud charges immediately, while they did there 10 day investigation.

But I also had Regions Bank and U.S. Bank and they don't.

They basically put the investigation in for 10 days and if it clears you get your funds back.

My major issue with it, is that would mean going 10 days without hard needed cash, IE bills up, food, and don't let the fraud charges causes OVERDRAFTS.

So depending on the bank, debit card fraud might not be too huge of a issue.

I personally would just rather use CC, better the banks money than mines.

Right... some banks easy peasy while others are hard to deal with, because if the crooks are good they can drain your whole account. 

Message 56 of 81
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Haven't used a debit card since 10/4/2011.  The current Chase debit card for my principal checking account established maybe two months prior has literally never been used a single time... admittedly before that I pretty much literally wore the numbers off my old BOFA debit card when I was doing the whole cash-based existance thing for 15 years.

        
Message 57 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because with a credit card it's not YOUR money they are stealing. I had an old BOA checking account cleaned out at Bloomingdales. $12K worth. It took a few weeks to get all of my money back. If fraud happens on a CC, who cares. You're not responsible and you're not impacted.

Personal:

Business:

Message 58 of 81
j615
Regular Contributor

My strategy is to carry 3 CCs, an ID, and some cash (literally have a 4 slot card holder and cash loose in front pocket). I recently SD'd my Chase debit card. I've stopped using it for purchases like others and only used it for ATM access. I think I rather deal with the hassle of going into the branch teller window when I occasionally need more cash.

Chase is also planning this year to add one-time generated ATM access codes in their mobile app, so you can use their ATMs without your debit card. Can't wait for this!

My CSP was fraudulently used in February with >$1,200 in online purchases. Once I opened a claim, a new card was overnighted and charges removed in less than 2 days. The funny thing is the rep kept apologizing for the inconvienence and and assured me to not worry about a thing.

Message 59 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@j615 wrote:

My strategy is to carry 3 CCs, an ID, and some cash (literally have a 4 slot card holder and cash loose in front pocket). I recently SD'd my Chase debit card. I've stopped using it for purchases like others and only used it for ATM access. I think I rather deal with the hassle of going into the branch teller window when I occasionally need more cash.

Chase is also planning this year to add one-time generated ATM access codes in their mobile app, so you can use their ATMs without your debit card. Can't wait for this!

My CSP was fraudulently used in February with >$1,200 in online purchases. Once I opened a claim, a new card was overnighted and charges removed in less than 2 days. The funny thing is the rep kept apologizing for the inconvienence and and assured me to not worry about a thing.

I agree with several members, I use credit card for everything and I only use my debit card for withdrawals. I rather been safe than sorry. 

Message 60 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.