Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would love a NFCU anything

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would love a NFCU anything

Would love to be able to join. Have not served in miltary. My dad did but passed away back in 1992. Anyone know if they might allow that? Any other ideas how to join. I see just about everyone on the forums are members. Thank you for your service if you served. 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Would love a NFCU anything

Call them and tell them your dad was military and what branch. 20 mins later, you'll have an account. Try to have some paperwork proof, like his DD214 in case they ask for it. They probably won't, but can at any time. Another option is bringing that proof to a branch and doing it there.  Last way is online and submitting digital copies of the paperwork if asked for them.

Message 2 of 23
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

You can join because of your dad. My dad passed away in 2018, and I was able to join. NFCU may ask for documentation proof if they can't verify information that you provide them. 

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea how to get his DD214?

Message 4 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Agreed with the above.

Call them. They are open 24/7/365+1 for leap year. All lines are open. Operators on standby.

Message 5 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any idea how to get his DD214?

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

Message 6 of 23
WTL1
New Contributor

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/ompf-access
You can submit your request online but you need to print out the form and mail in a "wet" signature copy. They tell you to expect a wait up to 3 months for your request. After 3 months I inquired via email and got a speedy reply that it would be another month. My paperwork arrived 3 weeks later. I had been waiting for my father's army records to arrive before joining NFCU. I never had to produce them, my membership and accounts were opened over the phone in a 15 minute process with a CSR.
Message 7 of 23
rbentley
Established Contributor

I actually don't recall seeing any post of someone being required to provide the DD-214 or proof of eligibility. I don't know what Navy does to verify applications but mine was done almost within 10 minutes total. My father was also deceased. Of course, you might at some point in the future be required to provide the proof (although I don't recall seeing any post where that happened either). I wouldn't delay joining while waiting for a DD-214. I doubt that you will need it.
Message 8 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

My Father was also deceased  (19 years) when I applied, told them when, where and how He served.

The Navy Rep was super nice. Was signed up in No time. Smooth Process!

I have been very happy to say the least!

Give them a call.

Message 9 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@rbentley wrote:
I actually don't recall seeing any post of someone being required to provide the DD-214 or proof of eligibility. I don't know what Navy does to verify applications but mine was done almost within 10 minutes total. My father was also deceased. Of course, you might at some point in the future be required to provide the proof (although I don't recall seeing any post where that happened either). I wouldn't delay joining while waiting for a DD-214. I doubt that you will need it.

It's happened. Accounts were frozen pending paperwork submission. It's definitely an outlier. Think they're supposed to have it on file, by law, but almost nobody has been forced to send it in. When I initially called in with questions about opening an account, the rep would not let me apply unless I had my paperwork ready as he was going to send me a secured message with a link to uploading the docs. Was told that if I didn't upload them within 30 days my account would be suspended or closed. I hung up and called back and the next rep opened the account no problem. I had what was needed, I just didn't want to deal with trying to find it. Almost 2 years and I haven't been asked to submit it yet.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.