Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prosper

tag
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

prosper

Hey guys, I have a personal loan at Prosper at 8.2 % for 20000. Not a terrible rate I guess for unsecured loan. My cards have been paid off except one and my score has increased into the 790 range, I was 730's when I got this loan. Also just joined Pen Fed, is there a chance I could get a lower rate and refinance ? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: prosper

Maybe check out LightStream? @CreditCuriosity ?
Message 2 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

As AJC said can check lightstream i did 36 months for 5.95 on debt consolidation and they go lower on non debt consolidstion loans.  Best rates I have vs. blood suckers sucks as marcus and the likes

Message 3 of 14
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

As AJC said can check lightstream i did 36 months for 5.95 on debt consolidation and they go lower on non debt consolidstion loans.  Best rates I have vs. blood suckers sucks as marcus and the likes

Maybe I got in early while the getting was good but Marcus gave me 10k @ 5.99% when my scores were in the low 700's. That was the best offer I was getting at the time, and unlike Prosper, Lending Club and others, no origination fee.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Sbrooks1 wrote:

Hey guys, I have a personal loan at Prosper at 8.2 % for 20000. Not a terrible rate I guess for unsecured loan. My cards have been paid off except one and my score has increased into the 790 range, I was 730's when I got this loan. Also just joined Pen Fed, is there a chance I could get a lower rate and refinance ? 

Penfed claims their Personal Loan rates are "as low as" 6.49% with no fees on their website but I'm thinking you must need a 850 Fico score with .01% utilization to get that rate. Smiley Wink Because they just mailed me a pre-qual personal loan offer up to $25k for up to 60 months at the Uncle Guido the Loan Shark rate of 17.99%, with even a check to draw on it. I actually thought it was pretty funny as I have a $25k Home Equity LOC at 5% APR with Penfed that I've barely touched, so a tough choice but I think I'll pass on their offer for a personal loan. Smiley Very Happy

With a 790 credit score you might do a bit better than 8.2% rate for a personal loan, but with that score I think your smarter move would be to app for new CC with long (12-18 months) 0% balance transfer offer. You won't likely get a starting limit high enough to BT $20k, but a large enough CL to pay off a big chunk of the Prosper loan and save a bunch of interest. In 2015 I got a new CC with 15 months 0% BT and paid off the remaining balance of my $5k Prosper in full and with 0% I was able to pay it off in 15 months and saved a bunch of interest.

Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Haha @DaveInAZ Smiley Happy 850 to get the rateSmiley Wink i believe youSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@FlaDude wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Maybe I got in early while the getting was good but Marcus gave me 10k @ 5.99% when my scores were in the low 700's. That was the best offer I was getting at the time, and unlike Prosper, Lending Club and others, no origination fee.

Ya you must of got in when they started out as i did pre-qual with > 800 TU score and got a lol rate of 15 or 16%..  I forgot, but not competive at all and all I get is their bi-weekly emails now that wont ever end Smiley Sad..  Probably will just have to block that email address as if I ever need a personal loan it would be with lightstream as they have the best rates out their currently.  Use to be So-FI, but they semmed to have raised their rates, etc.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did Lightstream did a "deposit verification" with you?..I was approved for a loan but they said they have to do a "deposit verification", meaning that they will deposit an amount (lower than the approved amount) into my checking account and I have to get a target or walmart voucher for that same amount using my debit card and then call them..they will deposit the complete loan amount after that final verification is done..does this sounds right to you?..please help..I really need this loan..
Message 8 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did Lightstream did a "deposit verification" with you?..I was approved for a loan but they said they have to do a "deposit verification", meaning that they will deposit an amount (lower than the approved amount) into my checking account and I have to get a target or walmart voucher for that same amount using my debit card and then call them..they will deposit the complete loan amount after that final verification is done..does this sounds right to you?..please help..I really need this loan..

No! This does NOT sound right, it sounds like a scam!!! Are you sure you're dealing with Lightstream? How did you contact them? I've never dealt with Lightstream, but no reputable personal loan company would pull that nonsense. What it sounds like is they want you to call them with the Target/Walmart "voucher" (giftcard?) number which they will convert to cash and then pull back the deposit they made to your account and you be out the amount they deposited. Cleaver scam - Don't fall for it!

If any legitimate bank/lender wants to do a "deposit verification" they send 2 small deposits to your account (less than a dollar) and immediately take it back, and have you verify the 2 small deposits. Only scammers would have you buy vouchers/gift cards.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. I'm using Lending Tree so I though they were emailing me because of that. Now I noticed the email comes from Light Stream Financial and yes very clever, it looked pretty legit until he asked for the giftcard. Hopefully is not too late as I gave him some of my info over the phone..😓..thank you again..
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.