cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Optima Application

tag
bburney4

American Express Optima Application

I recently defaulted on all 4 of my AMEX cards, I have negotiated settlements for each card and have paid off 3 of the 4 cards. I was told that if I paid the total amount on one of my Amex cards, that I would be eligible for a Optima Credit Card application. Do you think I will get approved for a Optima card even if I didn't pay the full balance on the remaining three cards? Or do you think I should pay the balances in full prior to applying.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Optima Application

@bburney4 wrote:

I recently defaulted on all 4 of my AMEX cards, I have negotiated settlements for each card and have paid off 3 of the 4 cards. I was told that if I paid the total amount on one of my Amex cards, that I would be eligible for a Optima Credit Card application. Do you think I will get approved for a Optima card even if I didn't pay the full balance on the remaining three cards? Or do you think I should pay the balances in full prior to applying.

Hello. I recently completed a debt settlement program where I paid off my credit card debts for less than full. This included American Express. I then waited about 30 days and applied for a charge card. I knew I would be declined, but I wanted to see if they would do a hard inquiry, which they did- this is good because it means that I am not blacklisted. My denial letter listed the reasons for decline, and my settling my debts for less than full was not one of them. The reasons were low scores, late payments, and some collection items. I then called them about the Optima. I was told by several reps that the program has been discontined and that I should apply for a regular card. When I told them I was declined, I was transferred to the Credit Team, who advised me to work on improving my credit scores and then apply again. This is what I am currently working on. I plan to apply again in a few months.

I would encourage you to work on your credit scores and then apply for a regular card. Good luck on your credit journey. Hopefully by this time next year, we will both have American Express cards again.Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 3
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Optima Application

@bburney4 wrote:

The Optima (ie Recovery Card Product or Oasis Program) is still available by invite only. If they told you that you would be eligible then that would be the case.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.