Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever have sucess with the CFPB?

tag
Alucard
New Contributor

Anyone ever have sucess with the CFPB?

I'm really contemplating a PFD scenario but I am frustrated as I do not owe the debt! I have the documentation and everything and the CRAs just ignore it. For example, I sent experian a detailed letter disputing the line item with all of my documentation (payment dates with confirmation numbers, email correspondance, etc). About a week later I received a notification that they received my dispute and that they would conduct a thorough investigation of my claim. However within 4 hours the investigation was complete and they stated the debt was valid. Why they corresponded with me virtually when I sent everying through the mail I have no clue.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had any luck with the CFPB this year? Especially since they released that report back in Jan stating the CRAs have done a lousy job investigation disputes (I am paraphrasing).

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have sucess with the CFPB?

If you have all the documentation to prove 100% they are in the wrong. Grab a FRCA lawyer and let them handle the case. The company will have to pay your lawyer fees and just maybe some fines. Give it a shot. CFPB is 50/50.

Message 2 of 8
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

The question is why do you not owe it? Was it identity fraud or paid off? The bar on debt validation is so low, politicians can pass it!

The reason I ask is that may help tell you the best way to handle it.

Message 3 of 8
Miikawaadizi
New Contributor

@Alucard I recently noticed I had a credit card account (First Premier) on my

credit reports from 2019(I only recently started watching my credit reports again after years of my daughters medical bills keeping me down). In December, I didn't know that disputing wasn't the way to get fraudulent accounts deleted. And I didn't know disputing an original creditor was also a no/no. I've learned a lot in my short time here starting mid December. Anyways I disputed with all the CRAs and Equifax deleted while on Transunion and Experian it remained. I then learned, on the forums here, the appropriate way to get fraudulent accounts removed from credit reports. I filed an FTC fraud report and sent in all ID, proof of address, FTC report and social info they(TU and Ex) needed to move forward with deleting, according to the FTC. According to the Fair Credt Reporting Act, CRAs have 4 days to delete fraudulent info once they receive proof. I called both TU and Ex and let them know there was a fraudulent account on my report and they told me to send in all info, which I did by way of priority mail. I was expecting deletion within a week or so after they received my info. Nothing happened with EX, no update while TU sent me a "remains after dispute" WTAF? It wasn't a dispute. My cover letter clearly stated fraudulent account and they made it a dispute anyways. I got mad and realized I could file with CFPB under FCRA. Since I hadn't received anything from Experian yet I went ahead and filed my report w/CFPB for TU. I got an email back the next day from CFPB stating TU asked for more time and could take up to 60 days. 😩. Once I got that back for TU I waited a week to hear from Experian and still nada so I filed CFPB report on Experian as well. I didn't get an email update for Experian stating they needed more time so I thought that was a good thing. Two weeks after filing on TU I noticed my FAKO went up 40 points but I thought it was because I paid off one of my accounts that was at 70% the previous statement cut date. Then my score went up another 10. I looked at credit karma and noticed I didn't see First premiers there anymore but still wasn't sure it was because they finally deleted. A few days later I got an answer

from Experian through the CFPB stating I didn't have an account by that name(First Premier) on my credit report, which was definitely not true. I went and looked at my report and sure enough I couldn't find it. A few days after that I got a letter in the mail from Transunion stating First premier had

been deleted, my first solid piece of proof that they deleted First Premier for fraud. After getting that letter I assumed what happened with Experian was that first premier had done their due diligence, finally, and sent the fraud report to First Premier who in turn pulled it off my Experian report. It wasn't until this week that I saw updates on Experian that showed First Premier was gone. CFPB worked and I am thankful for being able to use that route to help me. Hope this info helps!

Starting Score:Early 2021 Mid 400s
Current Score:Eq/Ex/Tu 740/743/734 Experian is -4 thanks to Comenity hard pull and their website “update” debacle
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
Alucard
New Contributor

@Miikawaadizi wrote:

@Alucard I recently noticed I had a credit card account (First Premier) on my

credit reports from 2019(I only recently started watching my credit reports again after years of my daughters medical bills keeping me down). In December, I didn't know that disputing wasn't the way to get fraudulent accounts deleted. And I didn't know disputing an original creditor was also a no/no. I've learned a lot in my short time here starting mid December. Anyways I disputed with all the CRAs and Equifax deleted while on Transunion and Experian it remained. I then learned, on the forums here, the appropriate way to get fraudulent accounts removed from credit reports. I filed an FTC fraud report and sent in all ID, proof of address, FTC report and social info they(TU and Ex) needed to move forward with deleting, according to the FTC. According to the Fair Credt Reporting Act, CRAs have 4 days to delete fraudulent info once they receive proof. I called both TU and Ex and let them know there was a fraudulent account on my report and they told me to send in all info, which I did by way of priority mail. I was expecting deletion within a week or so after they received my info. Nothing happened with EX, no update while TU sent me a "remains after dispute" WTAF? It wasn't a dispute. My cover letter clearly stated fraudulent account and they made it a dispute anyways. I got mad and realized I could file with CFPB under FCRA. Since I hadn't received anything from Experian yet I went ahead and filed my report w/CFPB for TU. I got an email back the next day from CFPB stating TU asked for more time and could take up to 60 days. 😩. Once I got that back for TU I waited a week to hear from Experian and still nada so I filed CFPB report on Experian as well. I didn't get an email update for Experian stating they needed more time so I thought that was a good thing. Two weeks after filing on TU I noticed my FAKO went up 40 points but I thought it was because I paid off one of my accounts that was at 70% the previous statement cut date. Then my score went up another 10. I looked at credit karma and noticed I didn't see First premiers there anymore but still wasn't sure it was because they finally deleted. A few days later I got an answer

from Experian through the CFPB stating I didn't have an account by that name(First Premier) on my credit report, which was definitely not true. I went and looked at my report and sure enough I couldn't find it. A few days after that I got a letter in the mail from Transunion stating First premier had

been deleted, my first solid piece of proof that they deleted First Premier for fraud. After getting that letter I assumed what happened with Experian was that first premier had done their due diligence, finally, and sent the fraud report to First Premier who in turn pulled it off my Experian report. It wasn't until this week that I saw updates on Experian that showed First Premier was gone. CFPB worked and I am thankful for being able to use that route to help me. Hope this info helps!

This is great information, thank you!

Message 5 of 8
Alucard
New Contributor

@tnhomestead wrote:

The question is why do you not owe it? Was it identity fraud or paid off? The bar on debt validation is so low, politicians can pass it!

The reason I ask is that may help tell you the best way to handle it.

It was for a townhome leasing. It essentially snowed during the week I was supposed to move and so the movers couldn't get to me until 1 business day after my last day. I then received approval (in writing) from the management/leasing office for 2 additional days (I left in 1). However 6 months later I received notification that my account was referred to collections as I was billed for an entire month's rent for staying 1 additional day. What's frustrating is that the amount is just low enough that hiring a lawyer would be a waste of money (as when I spoke to counsel they stated they could help me, but the CA would most likely ride this out and then just delete the line item before I get to a place to recoup attorney fees). 

Message 6 of 8
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Have you talked to the leasing folks or sent them a certified letter with copies of the information?  May just have been a mistake on someone's part. Worth a shot if you haven't. 

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO its time to send the management company an ITS (intend to sue) letter if they dont cancel the debt. If you have the original extension in writing they really have no legs to stand on.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.