Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Questions.

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Authorized User Questions.

I was recently told that adding myself as an AU on a credit card with great history would improve my score, but then was told by lenders that being added as an AU did that in the past, but recently that changed and being an AU no longer improves your score.

Anyone recently been added as AU and had a score bump? Im wondering if they just wanted me to apply for my own (knowing I was rebuilding my credit I dont see why) or if this change has taken place??

Thanks guys!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User Questions.

My husband added me as an AU on his Cap one card. My score has gone up, but there were alot of other things going on at the time ie, deletions, new trade lines etc that could have been responsible for the increase. I do know that it made my file look better because before that card I had 0 trade lines.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same boat.  I asked both of my parents to put me on their cards just as an AU and that I would send them the cards or they could watch me destroy the cards via webcam. 

But I've read mixed reviews on being an AU, some say that scores will go up, some say they wont.  I only asked last week and am not sure if they have even been applied yet.

Will post back if it does Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

so it shows on your CR, and did the history of that account come with it? I have a chance to do this, but dont want to do so if its not going to help. While the card is very trustworthy and history is clean, you NEVER know. And I only have a few tradelines, so i thought it might look better if the history came with the AU addition.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 13
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the same boat.  I asked both of my parents to put me on their cards just as an AU and that I would send them the cards or they could watch me destroy the cards via webcam. 

But I've read mixed reviews on being an AU, some say that scores will go up, some say they wont.  I only asked last week and am not sure if they have even been applied yet.

Will post back if it does Smiley Happy

exactly! I get such mixed reviews which is why im hoping for some real-life experience with it. Let me know how it goes and how it reports.

Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 13
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

I would like to know this answer also. To my understanding it does not have any effect on the AU just the original account holder, but please note that some creditor allow accounts to switch to joint accounts, in this case it will increase on both members. People saying yes, that it will increase as AU, might have been switched by the company as joint and thats why they notice changes.

NOTE: The creditor have the ability to just update the account as joint without needing to close it and re-open a new one. Gd luck

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 6 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Per FICO, AU CC accounts weigh the same as individual or joint accounts. They can be a great tool in rebuilding. At one point, the newest version of FICO (of which lenders seldom use anyway) was going to exclude AUs from scoring, but that never came to be. All of the account holder's history with the card will get transferred to you and your mix of credit can be improved as your CC util if that helps. Your FICO can certainly drop too if it contained derogs, hurts your overall CC util, or negatively impacts AAoA.

Message 7 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Per FICO, AU CC accounts weigh the same as individual or joint accounts. They can be a great tool in rebuilding. At one point, the newest version of FICO (of which lenders seldom use anyway) was going to exclude AUs from scoring, but that never came to be. All of the account holder's history with the card will get transferred to you and your mix of credit can be improved as your CC util if that helps. Your FICO can certainly drop too if it contained derogs, hurts your overall CC util, or negatively impacts AAoA.

Often, an underwriter for financing might omit those accounts, or ask you to remove them (like if you are getting a mortgage)

But WHILE rebuilding? Best tool I can think of to be honest... It 100 percent counts the same, and all factors of it come with it, such as util, AAoA ect ect

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 8 of 13
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

That's all I wanted it for! Rebuilding. As I don't have a lot of derogs, I don't have much good either. Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 13
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Often, an underwriter for financing might omit those accounts, or ask you to remove them (like if you are getting a mortgage)

But WHILE rebuilding? Best tool I can think of to be honest... It 100 percent counts the same, and all factors of it come with it, such as util, AAoA ect ect

-scott

Is this 100% accurate, that AU will help rebuilding credit., can someone else confirm? If this is true, I can be AU for many credit line, I never did it because I thought it didnt make a difference.

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.