cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK13, dismissal, no longer on report + refi, new credit?

tag

BK13, dismissal, no longer on report + refi, new credit?

Hi everyone! Just about 2 years ago now I had started gathering information on how to get my low-500's score to something more respectable. I made a post that can be found here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Rebuilding-After-Bankruptcy-Dismissal/td-p/6... - thank you to everyone that helped in their responses.

TL;DR - I filed for Ch13 in 08/2015, it was dismissed in 08/2019 and set to come off my reports 08/2022.

As of right now, my Experian FICO is a 667 after jumping ~118 points from January to April 2022 (no change since). I was able to get a used car loan with a high APR in June of 2021 when my score was reporting mid-500's at best. I was planning to refinance in August or September of this year, once my bankruptcy fell off my report and I had a solid 12 months+ of payments. However, in looking at my reports that I just pulled today, my Ch13 is no longer showing anywhere. Could that jump a few months back have been when my reports updated with that information? I could have sworn it was still showing on my last pull, around that time.

If /when I am successful in finding a lender for refinancing my vehicle, would you recommend opening a line of credit with Capital One (which seemed to be the most recommended in my last post) simply for another option in reporting? If so, how long should I wait after refi? I'm simply thinking this as my vehicle and student loans are the only things reporting / open as of now.

Always appreciative of the help, hope this wasn't too scatterbrained of a post!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: BK13, dismissal, no longer on report + refi, new credit?

You have no revolving accounts at all? Need a min of 3 and 1 reporting. Yes check Cap1 pre-qual and grab a card there. And a couple secured cards like Disco and Mission lane. Who got burned in your 13?

Message 2 of 3

Re: BK13, dismissal, no longer on report + refi, new credit?

Just my car payment, otherwise I don't have anything utilizing credit / revolving.

Unfortunately I had to include a very small amount on Discover and I thought Best Buy (Citibank) although I'm not seeing anything for either Discover + BB/Citi on my report now. Neither did not get paid off IN the BK before it was dismissed and I settled both after the fact. I'm wondering if that's a good thing they're not showing at all? The 13 was really only so I could keep the car I had at the time.

BB was previously using Capital One and sold it to Citi in 2013, which (Cap1) IS on my report and the status is "pays as agreed" and closed per my request in 4/2013 when they transferred to Citi.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.