Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Pay AmEx

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't Pay AmEx

I've never been late on a card in many years. Now I am late with AmEx and they call me multiple times per day. How do I get them to leave me alone without paying them and without triggering a lawsuit of some sort? I want to pay, but cannot. I don't know when I can pay. I have no answers to the questions they ask me on the phone and I cannot setup a payment date. I do not want to tell them to never call me again because I do not want to trigger a lawsuit or some suh thing. But, I want them to quit calling too. What do I do?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't Pay AmEx

Unfortunately they will keep calling until you pay. How late are you?
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

about 30 days

Message 3 of 15
rlx01
Established Contributor

Is there any way at all you can meet your minimum payment to stop a 30 day late from reporting?

Is this a credit or charge card?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit. No, I'm probably just over the 30 day mark now.

Message 5 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Years ago (pre-BK) when I had an Amex Green card I once had problems paying as well; I personally found them very easy to work with - they really do want to help you find a solution.

Presumably you have a plan for paying them back, simply share it with them.  In my case once I was caught up I was even able to have my account reactivated, which was a very pleasant surprise (it took me several months to get it cleared up).  There is a deadline, though... I'm not sure what it is, but once you're past that the account will be closed and you'll 'officially' be in collections.  If you think you'll be able to pay them back you might as well do it in such a way to keep the account if possible.  Smiley Wink

I don't know your circumstances, but if you don't have a feasible plan for paying them back the phone calls aren't going to stop, and you'll need to explore your other legal options (again, depending on what you have going on).

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

These situations are horrible, and I've been in them. One thing I do believe is that Step 1 is answering the phone. Even if you don't know Step 2. Nothing good really ever comes from ducking the phone calls. 

Message 7 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

These situations are horrible, and I've been in them. One thing I do believe is that Step 1 is answering the phone. Even if you don't know Step 2. Nothing good really ever comes from ducking the phone calls. 

Right. Get some help and try to pay the minimum. The CC may even want to work with you to reduce the min payment. Keep it current.

Message 8 of 15
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I've been in the same situation while I was struggling to avoid filing BK.  Most CC's will work with you as much as they reasonably can.  At one point, I had two different cards accepting about 1/3 of the minimum payment as part of a payment plan to avoid going to collections.

Bottom line is they keep calling because they don't know what your intentions are.  If you can't get help from family or a friend to pay the minimum due + fees, there are few options for you.

One thing you MIGHT be consider...  If you have reason to expect you will be able to resume payments in the reasonably near future (30-60 days) you might consider doing a balance transfer to another card, even if you don't have any special offers.  This is usually considered a payment by the source card, and would buy you a billing cycle or two, depending on timing.  Don't transrfer a large amount...  Just enough to cover maybe twice the minimum payment + late fees.  This will keep you from getting a 60 day late, and them closing your card, possibly causing you MORE financial distress.  Then tell them that you will be making a payment of $X in two weeks.   This should reduce or eliminate the calls until the transfer posts.

Disclaimer:  If you DON'T have a reasonable expectation of being able to resume payments normally any time soon, DON'T do this, as it will only increase your debt load.  I offer the suggestion only as a temporary fix...  I wouldn't do it more than once each way, which is why I say 30-60 days breathing room.  Frequent balance transfers back and forth will undoubtedly raise red flags to both creditors.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As everyone has said there is truly no way to stop the calls. I've been there, I know how it feels to be in this situation though. I would pick up and talk with them again. See if they have any suggestions on working with you to find an acceptable solution to your problem. Good luck OP!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.