cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off's Please Help

tag
jacksont81

Charge Off's Please Help

Hi everyone, I am new to posting, well my 2nd post but I have been reading these boards for quite a well and I am in the process of rebuilding my credit. I am excited and no where near as scared as I was before. I made mistakes and I am correcting them. On my report, I have a charge off that is expected to drop 6/1 and another account account thats in collections expected to drop 6/1 as well. I would like to know what exactly does that mean? It wont show on my credit report anymore at all? Will my scores go up once its dropped from my credit report? Do I still have to pay those accounts out of good faith? If I do pay it after its dropped from my credit report, will it be put back on? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing. Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
trboda92
Established Member

Re: Charge Off's Please Help

Im no pro around here but I have read many threads.. my view on it is if they will fall off dont pay and keep your $. If they are past 7 or 7.5 years and thats what you are reffering to as drop off then yes they will be removed from your credit reports. This can improve or hurt your score iv'e read due to the age of the accounts etc..

Someone with more experience my chime in...

Message 2 of 11
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

In regards to any derogatory marks (collection/charge-off/late pays/etc) they are only allowed to legally show them on your credit report for up to 7.5 years from the Date of First Default (or Date of First Delinquency.). What was the DOFD? Does it say specifically on your report that it was going to fall off 6/1 or is it due to your calculations? Once the 7.5 year marks hits from the DOFD then any agency still reporting that debt on your report must legally remove. You can dispute it with the CRA to have it deleted. Once the 7 year marks hits, the OC or CA that are reporting the account basically have 6 months to remove the derogatory mark. You can have it removed sooner though, if it's hit the 7 year mark or even sometimes up to six months BEFORE then, by talking to the CRA that it is being reported from. I've seen/heard success stories like that.

As for paying, once it's outside your state's SOL you are not able to be sued for the debt anymore. They can't MAKE you pay. But they CAN contact you asking to pay, and it can be sold to another agency down the line and they can bug you too. But if it's outside the SOL and you don't want to or cannot pay, sending a C&D letter should suffice. You can still pay because you feel it is the right thing as it is a debt you owe, but nothing can make it return to your credit report after it's fallen off due to time. What state do you live in? Some states have SOLs as long as 15 years, like Kentucky I believe, some as short as 3 years, like D.C. The debt may fall off your report but still be inside the SOL. Few states have SOL longer than 6 years, but there are some.

NO ONE can report a debt that has fallen past the CRTP (credit reporting time period). If anyone tries to "re-age" the debt by posting an inaccurate DOFD to get it back on to your credit report, what they are doing is ILLEGAL. You cannot re-age debts.

Hope this was helpful. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 3 of 11
jacksont81

Wow xaiduz114 that post really helped me tremendously! I live in New York State so not sure what the SOL is for my state. My credit report says its supposed to come off 6/1 I wasn't going to check again until August just to give it time before I call the CRA to request to take it off. Now the thing is will this help or hurt my score? I guess its better to have it completely off even if my score goes down. Im in the process of some PFD's and got 2 new CC's to start rebuilding so I will gain points eventually.
Message 4 of 11
EW800
Valued Contributor

I live in New York State so not sure what the SOL is for my state.

I beleive the SOL in NY is 6 years, however you may want to confirm.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 11
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@jacksont81 wrote:
Wow xaiduz114 that post really helped me tremendously! I live in New York State so not sure what the SOL is for my state. My credit report says its supposed to come off 6/1 I wasn't going to check again until August just to give it time before I call the CRA to request to take it off. Now the thing is will this help or hurt my score? I guess its better to have it completely off even if my score goes down. Im in the process of some PFD's and got 2 new CC's to start rebuilding so I will gain points eventually.

Here. New York's SOL is 6 years across the board, so I'm assuming that you are outside the SOL. Legally you cannot be sued for the debt anymore, assuming that YES you are at the 7 year mark, which it sounds like you are. Smiley Happy If you want to wait until August to check for it's removal you can, but they do have up to 6 months to remove their negative tradeline. I hear a lot of people dispute before then to have it removed and receive a bump in their score sooner.

As for your score specifically, how old is the TL, and what are your other ones? If it lowers your AAoA, you may take a hit, I'm guessing, but having the negatives removed will also help your score. It's one of those things where it depends on the specifics of your situation, and I can't tell you for sure what will happen. But yes, time does heal all credit wounds, and having these negatives removed will help your score, and any loss will just improve over time as your accounts grow older anyways. AAoA only accounts for 15% of your FICO score. How much you owe is 30%, and your payment history is 35%, so I think the positive rise will outweigh any negative slide in your score. But again, it's a YMMV situation.

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 6 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

OK... I've got nothing to add, handled nicely there guys!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 11
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

This really makes me feel like I've learned. Smiley Very Happy

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 8 of 11
jacksont81

Message 9 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@xaiduz114 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

This really makes me feel like I've learned. Smiley Very Happy

Well, quite franky, I was impressed!  Very nice work!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.