cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Agency not reporting correctly

tag
SweetQueen

Collections Agency not reporting correctly

A few months ago, a collections account with Debt Recovery Solutions appeared on my credit report. I disputed it, and they sent me a letter in the mail stating that it was a medical bill from October of 2013. Well, as I was going through old mail, I found a notice that they sent me back in February of this year trying to offer me a reduced payment to resolve the debt that stated that the medical bill was actually from March of 2013, which would mean that it was greater than 7 years old when they initially reported it to my credit report. I've already disputed this with Equifax, and sent them over the supporting documents that I have, and also filed a dispute with the CFPB, but what if in this case they continue to side with the debtor? What are my next steps? It seems like what they are doing is very illegal. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Agency not reporting correctly

@SweetQueen wrote:

A few months ago, a collections account with Debt Recovery Solutions appeared on my credit report. I disputed it, and they sent me a letter in the mail stating that it was a medical bill from October of 2013. Well, as I was going through old mail, I found a notice that they sent me back in February of this year trying to offer me a reduced payment to resolve the debt that stated that the medical bill was actually from March of 2013, which would mean that it was greater than 7 years old when they initially reported it to my credit report. I've already disputed this with Equifax, and sent them over the supporting documents that I have, and also filed a dispute with the CFPB, but what if in this case they continue to side with the debtor? What are my next steps? It seems like what they are doing is very illegal. 

You will likely hear from someone else here who can explain this a lot better than me, and also give you some suggestions.  It has been my understanding that collections remain on credit reports for 7 years plus 180 days.  They can be reported as a separate account, which can be devasting to our scores.

If everything is accurate with the collection reporting (e.g., dates etc) and it is not legally time for it to fall off, it could come back verified and further ding your score.  Doesn't make sense to dispute something that is accurate; however, there may be things on the collection account, if not reported correctly, which can be disputed. But there are risks.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SweetQueen wrote:

some bills are a little difficult to pin down DoFD.

Like I have a utility bill where I never paid it on time, so essentially, my DoFD should have been when I first got the account, yet the account shows DoFD when they closed the account. I think it is because it does not report to the 3Bs monthly, so when it finally goes to collections, they get to chose the date the account closed and went to collections as the DoFD. This is because the 3Bs have no history to prove DoFD otherwise.

Also, this seems like a lot of effort for an account ready to drop likely on Sept 1st, a couple days away. At absolute worst, 1 month.

You can already request EE from TU and EX if they haven't dropped it already. EQ is difficult, but I bet will be off your reports early Sept (next week) or at the latest, beginning of Oct.

Message 3 of 9
SweetQueen

It's only reporting on Equifax. I tried asking for early Exclusion before I found the letter that stated it was from March of 2013 and they wouldn't remove it. Even if its 7 years and 180 days, wouldn't it still be past that date since its from March 2013? Its a medical bill, so its not like a CC account or utility bill. I thought those went by the date of service? 

Message 4 of 9
SweetQueen

Update: They responded to my CFPB dispute and are deleting from my credit report. 

Message 5 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SweetQueen wrote:

Update: They responded to my CFPB dispute and are deleting from my credit report. 

Win!

Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SweetQueen wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.