cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Obsessed! Have you lost your mind too?????

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Credit Obsessed! Have you lost your mind too?????

There really is a thin line between sanity and plain old bat poop crazy……………..and I have to admit, I am sitting on the edge of a barbed wire fence between the two, ready to take the plunge to the point of no return! Since my rebuild process started last year, I have become completely obsessed with my credit, and it is consuming my life.

It has become a daily ritual for me to wake up, go to my laptop, log into EVERY SINGLE credit card account and check for an auto CLI, then log into MyFico to see if my credit scores have changed, then log into all the freebie credit sites like CK, CS, etc., to see if there is any change, then log back into EVERY SINGLE credit card account and look at the transaction history, then spend all day reading the forums here, as well as a few other credit communities, then update 5 different spreadsheets I created to track my rebuilding progress, then finish the night out by once again, logging back into all my credit card accounts at least one more time, you know, just to stare at all the data for good measure. LOL .

The next morning, it is like the movie “Groundhog Day.” I wake up and do the same thing over and over, day after day……….I am losing it!

I even keep 5 different spreadsheets, which I update daily with all my card info, CL’s, dates I requested a CLI, the outcome, my current balance, my current usage percentage, and no less than 20 other criterion that I update daily!

Almost every conversation I have lately is about credit......the other day I was speaking to my sister on the phone, and she said, "Can we please talk about something else, other than credit? That is all you talk about and I am getting tired of talking about credit......please...........let's talk about something different for a change!" ROFL!!!!!!!!!! 

I have even had dreams about my credit!

IT IS UTTER INSANITY!

Has anyone else become completely obsessed with their credit, or perform a daily ritual of checking for CLI’s and credit report changes? Or is it just me?

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Obsessed! Have you lost your mind too?????

Okay, I'm going to raise my hand but I respectfully plead the 5th on the depth of any alleged "credit insanity" lol  I will agree that "you" have positive issues and will only encourage you to continue on what is an absolute life/credit changing journey.  Now if you form a support group and I show up, remember that I am only coming as an observer so that I can document when I might be standing on the edge of being sucked into the sequel of Ground Hog Day--The Credit Version lol

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 2 of 52
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Me me me!!!   A lot more now since I'm tryng to get an auto loan at the end of November.  I've already established that my Merrick Bank card CL will double from 700 to 1400 on my October statement, which means it'll report double in Nov.  I check both my cards (fortunately? I only have 2 at the moment) to make sure my payments posted, and then calculate how much to pay for the weeks until the statement date to get 1 card to 0% and the other to 1%.   Then I go into my paycheck spreadsheet and make sure it's set up to account for that, and account for any balance changes.

Then i go onto creditkarma and creditsesame to see if the scores increased (even though I know CK only updates weekly and CS maybe monthly).  Then I check my disputes, and my email for GW responses.  And I come on here and hang out here all day.   And I have all these things open in different tabs at the same time.

And I mess around with fake numbers for the auto loan to see what my payment and total interest would be, given certain terms, and how much to pay extra to pay only a certain amount of interest total.

I even added a siggy on here to keep an eye on my goal.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 3 of 52
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I was like this at the beginning of my rebuilding journey, but I slowed down a bit and I surf the forums now just to offer advice and just read up on things. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 52
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

I surfed the forum for a while for ways to deal with one of the worse CA's.  My cash only policy left me with all my old positive stuff falling off and a thin file.  I continue to ask questions, answer them and only recently took an "active" participation on the forum.  I think the obsession perhaps is perhaps a personality type--or a person who desires never to be taken advantage of "credit wise", ensure old issues don't repeat themselves, etc.

Sometimes it's not about rebuilding but more of a lifestyle change.  My dw who has NEVER had a credit set back now participates on the forum as she learns things she has never knew because "she just never experienced it".  She's a Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, penny pinchman, creditworthy, BEAST!! lol I say it in the most complimentary way because it's amazing to watch.  Although I've seen the promised land of credit..she's seen it and has never left it.

@Whitneyy wrote:

I was like this at the beginning of my rebuilding journey, but I slowed down a bit and I surf the forums now just to offer advice and just read up on things. 

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 5 of 52
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I'm obsessed with gardening.

9 days till silver spade...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 52
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Finally, I found a place where me and my insanity belong....Smiley LOL

Yes, since the start of my rebuilding journey I have become obsessed with slaying the baddies, and building as many positive tradelines as possible so that I can possibly qualify for a home with a decent interest rate in about 12 -18 months time from slaying the last baddie on my CR.

Now I have to admit, I haven't gone the spreadsheet route, but yes MyFico is one of the first sites I log onto in the morning......hangs head in shame and shuffles off to the corner.  

So when does the support group meetings start and ummmm who's bringing doughnuts....Smiley Very Happy

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 7 of 52
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

@seruby wrote:

Then i go onto creditkarma and creditsesame to see if the scores increased (even though I know CK only updates weekly and CS maybe monthly).  Then I check my disputes, and my email for GW responses.  And I come on here and hang out here all day.   And I have all these things open in different tabs at the same time.

And I mess around with fake numbers for the auto loan to see what my payment and total interest would be, given certain terms, and how much to pay extra to pay only a certain amount of interest total.

@Zorasmiles - I will let you know when the first meeting takes place, LOL. i hope there is free donuts! You are correct about the personality type, I am naturally a person to obsess over things and I easily become addicted to almost everything enjoyable. For instance, food............(hence the free donut comment, lol) has always been an obsession for me. I love to eat, and it shows! LOL. Now if I could just become as obsessed with losing weight and eating healthy as I am about my credit, I will be 130 pounds of rock solid crazy-lady! Smiley Very Happy

@seruby - Yes, I forgot to add that, I do the same thing with the auto loan numbers, I use amortization calculators all the time and know how much my auto and house payment will be at any given time, with any given rate, if I ever qualify for it. I have a chart and spreadsheet with my auto loan that tracks the extra money I put on my principle and the approximate equity I have each month. I plan to refi again in about 6 months, hopefully for the last time. As far as the free credit sites, I KNOW the score only updates once a week/month, but that does not stop me from obsessively logging on daily anyways, LOL. I love the fact that CK now gives me a full credit report free every week. That is awesome. I am also trying every which way but loose to get stuff that was IIB to be removed from my CR's, especially the collections, so I am disputing on a constant basis. It is so bad that Experian won't even let me open a dispute online anymore, ROFL, I have to manually write in now.

My latest obsession is learning how to rob Peter to pay Paul (just kidding) by finding ways to pay my biggest monthly bills (mtg and auto loan) with a rewards earning credit card so I can earn travel and cash back on my monthly bills. I have found a way to do that and it is cool because it costs me nothing and I am earning about $60 a month in rewards, that is about $700 a year. I am going to let it accumulate for about 4 or 5 years and once I have over $3000 available, I am going to take a vacation and use my card for the entire trip, then use my rewards points to pay it all off.

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 8 of 52
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

@alienfico wrote:

So when does the support group meetings start and ummmm who's bringing doughnuts....Smiley Very Happy

I am still laughing...............if you look at the message I just posted, that was my first comment...............I hope someone brings donuts! ROFL. As you can see from the time and date stamp, we were both writing at the same time. Looks like great, obsessed minds do think alike. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 52
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

@Divaofsongs wrote:

@alienfico wrote:

I am still laughing...............if you look at the message I just posted, that was my first comment...............I hope someone brings donuts! ROFL. As you can see from the time and date stamp, we were both writing at the same time. Looks like great, obsessed minds do think alike. Smiley Very Happy

If there is a positive spin on this insanity...let it be good scores and getting the outcomes we want....

then we can have all the doughnuts our heart's desire.  Great minds do obsess alike .... ROFL

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.