Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collection from Convergent Outsourcing after 6 years HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collection from Convergent Outsourcing after 6 years HELP

Long story short, I had a bad situation with a buyer from Ebay/Paypal back in September of 2010. I was hit with a 1000 charge back that I refused to pay because I was not in the worng. Paypal thought otherwise.

I basically stopped using paypal and ebay all together. I never heard anything from them since and nothing from paypal or convergent outsourcing has been on my Credit Report.

Today (6 years later) I recieved a Collection Letter from Convergent Outsourcing stating I owe paypal the $1000. They are offering to settle or I can pay the full debt. As of today there still is no ding on my credit report from either paypal or convergent outsourcing. 

I live in California and have all my life. My question is what I should do about this letter. Am I protected by California SOL? I haven't responded to the letter or had any communcation with Convergent Outsoucing. I have worked so hard to get my credit score up to 750 and don't want this to ruin that.

Should I ignore the letter? Send a cease and disist letter or a DV letter? I'm really lost and just don't want to make a mistake and mess up all my hard work. I just don;t want to ignore it and get a collection record on my CR.

Any information would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collection from Convergent Outsourcing after 6 years HELP

Funny I got a similar letter last week different amount and I have no idea why they think I owe $400 and change.  It was to my old marital address and I have been separated/divorced for over 7 years so it must be a really old debt.

I sent a debt validation letter to Convergent and called Paypal.  Paypal couldn't tell me anything because I didn't know what email and phone number the account number was associated with  but had me fax stuff in.

I was discharged with a Chapter 7 in June so I'm not too worried.

I figure either it's so old it's uncollectable or wiped because of my Chapter 7.

In my opinion since it listed an address I haven't lived at in 7 years it has to be pretty old.

Convergent or PayPal or both maybe trying a bunch of hail mary's sending as many letters as they can on uncollectable debt hoping to at least collect a little.

It's been a week since I faxed Paypal and sent the Debt Verification letter to convergent and haven't heard anything.

My only concern is they incorrectly list something on my report and it takes me a bit to fx.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing. Im not sure if I should contact paypal , send Convergent a DV or just ignore it. I too, do not want this to pop up on my report. That is my only concern. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is also for a different paypal account.  It's within the realm of posability that >7 years ago I had a different account.

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Who is identified in their collection ("dunning") notice as the party who owns the debt?

If the debt collector has purchased the debt, then you are covered under the California Fair Debt Buying Practices Act, which went into effect in Jan, 2014.

If they own it, they were required to have included reference to your rights under that Act within their dunning notice.

Did they?

Under the California Fair Debt Buying Practices Act, a debt buyer cannot take collection actions against you unless it has the following account information:

·         your account balance when the creditor charged off your debt

·         the amount of interest and fees added after the charge-off

·         the date of the last payment you made or the default date

·         the charge-off creditor’s name

·         the account number of the charge-off debt

·         your name and address that was on file with the charge-off creditor

·         the names of every entity that ever purchased your debt, and

·         a copy of your contract with the original creditor.

You may wish to send a DV request for this information under the CA Act as opposed to the federal FDCPA.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't really tell me who owns the debt. Im guessing paypal gave it to the collection agency since they are offering a partial settlement. This is the letter they sent below. Keep in mind, I havent recieved anything from Paypal or a collection agency since  2010 and it is not on any of my Credit Reports from all three bureus. 

Date 12/30/2016

Creditor: Paypal Inc

Client Account # ##############

Convergent Account ###########

Partial Payment Offer $365.49

Amount Owned $1008.34

Total Balance $1008.34

Dear "my name"

Ths notice is being sent to you by a colleciton agency. Our client records show that your Paypal account has a negativealance of 1008.34

The payment must e recieved in our office within 60 days of the date of this letter. Our client has advised us that they are willing to accepta payments of 35% of the 1008.34 that you owe to paypal as a result of this negative balance. If you accept this offer, our client will cease futher collection efforts ont his account. Please not that the accpetance of this partial payemtn will not reinstate your account with paypal and the remainder of the negative balance will remain unforgiven until fully satisfied by you. 

Your account may be reinstated only if you pay the entire amount of the outstandingdet and if the restriction on your accountwas solely the result of non payment of the amount due. 

If you are interested in taking advatage of this offer please call our office or mail your payment. Even if you are unable to take advantage of this offer, please contact our office to see  what terms can be worked out on your account. We are not required to make this offer to you in the future.

Bottom:

This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose. 

Message 6 of 12
bcr0818

I was just contacted by them via mail and by phone. They were claiming they were collecting on a balance I owed to a bank about 7 years ago. I had no idea about any balance owed. I told them I would send them a letter for debt validation seeing how I was unaware of this debt. The rep told me don't send a letter he could just send the requested info. I was a little leery about it bc my dv request wouldn't be in writing this way. Well about a week later I received a letter from them stating they were no longer collecting on the debt and would remove reporting info from bureaus (wasn't on my reports but kept the letter in case). Call and ask for DV (since you already sent a letter).
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-read mine.

convergent.png

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured I would call convergent and they told me it was pulled from their office on January 10th so I guess my fax to Paypal helped.

Now Convergent tells me they have another account for PSEG which I warned them was covered in my bankruptcy discharged 6/2016 and both PSEG and Convergent has been notified many times about it and I won't stand for any violation of the FDCPA.

He asked for my attorney I gave him the case # for the BK told him to look it up in Pacer and he said OK I will contact the attorney.  What the heck they are clearly listed as both convergent and PSEG for the account.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you post a sample of you Debt validation letter. Im guessing I should send them one soon ! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.