Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Star Card Garnishment Help!

tag
JimBo99
Regular Contributor

Military Star Card Garnishment Help!

Hello all.  Got a notification from my boss today that my wages will be garnished for an old star card account I defalted on back in 2011.  My question is does anyone have any experience with them, do they agree to settlements at all, can I still work out an agreement on payments to stop garnishments? Or am I screwed at this point?  I can live with 25% of my paycheck being snatched away , but would rather not if I can figure out alt methods. Gonna make finances tight for a bit.  I looked into getting a loan for the amount, to pay them off, but that's not really feasable at the moment either.  Pretty desperate here.  Thanks for y'alls help or if you need more info, let me know!   And if anyone has good contact info, I'd take that too, haha!

Ok credit, getting better.....slowly.... Can't seem to stay in the Garden for any extended period of time. I'm trying. Mid to upper 600's across the board.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Military Star Card Garnishment Help!

If they have the judgement and know they can garnish you now you don't really have any leverage to negotiate with them.  You might be able to get a small reduction if you can pay it all at once but probably not.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimBo99 wrote:

Hello all.  Got a notification from my boss today that my wages will be garnished for an old star card account I defalted on back in 2011.  My question is does anyone have any experience with them, do they agree to settlements at all, can I still work out an agreement on payments to stop garnishments? Or am I screwed at this point?  I can live with 25% of my paycheck being snatched away , but would rather not if I can figure out alt methods. Gonna make finances tight for a bit.  I looked into getting a loan for the amount, to pay them off, but that's not really feasable at the moment either.  Pretty desperate here.  Thanks for y'alls help or if you need more info, let me know!   And if anyone has good contact info, I'd take that too, haha!

Hi JimBo.

I'm not too familiar with military collections, but I know that there are certain rules out there, especially if your were on deployment.  Hope this link will point you out in the right direction.  https://www.veteransunited.com/money/financial-guide-deploying-service-members/

Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

JimBo99

hi,

your post leaves out a lot of details that might help someone make helpful suggestions

How much do you owe?

Is there a judgement? If so were you notified in writing of the case? did you ignore it? try to go?

Do you have any open credit lines? if so what is your utilization?

Have you looked at some of the high-risk lenders that the FAKO sites promote?

are you a member of a credit union? they tend to be more lenient with members in good standing than banks do.

if you could get that loan, are you in a position to pay it off in 12-18 months? you say you can handle a 25% garnishment can you do that to pay a loan?

All things in life are negotiable but death and breathing. It is possible, not saying likely, but possible that they will hold the garnisment in abeyance if you can pay them more than the 25% of your eligible income. For arugment sake if the debt is 10K and the 25% of your salary is $500 a month, that is 20 months of them carrying the debt. If you could say pay $750 a month they might take it as the pay off would be done in about 13 months.

state laws do come into play and they might help you. so look at them I know Texas has a bunch of interesting protections from garnishment etc.

Let us know that other information and maybe someone will have a good idea for you to try

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.