Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt validation letters?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt validation letters?

I was reading this blog site and they recommended that if I had old debt, I could contact new debt collectors within 30 days and send them a debt validation letter?

Has anyone tried this debt validation letter process and had any success? 

4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Debt validation letters?

@Anonymous wrote:

I was reading this blog site and they recommended that if I had old debt, I could contact new debt collectors within 30 days and send them a debt validation letter?

Has anyone tried this debt validation letter process and had any success? 

I haven't tried it but it sounds like an idea worth trying.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 5
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I did something like this a year and a half ago, using the FDCPA/HIPAA approach.  The situation involved a small medical debt that had been acquired by a Junk Debt Buyer.  The JDB was unable to validate the claim, and so I was able to have the claim removed from the bureau report.  Here are the threads:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/pay-collection-or-wait-it-out/m-p/5060041

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/CA-returns-medical-debt-to-OC-recommended-ne...

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 3 of 5
aynot4fitness
Contributor

I have used debt validation letters with great success on old medical collections. They were usually cases where the bill was 3-5 years old and I had no idea whether they were valid or not. So I found a template of a debt validation letter and mailed it before even attempting any phone conversation with the collectors (who were calling several times a week). The amounts ranged from $92 to $2500, and some didn't even show the medical facility that created the original bill.

The first benefit to mailing the letter is that the phone calls stop right away - since you specify in the letter that all further communication must be done in writing, as per the FDCPA. Some removed the item from my credit report within a  month without replying to the letter. Others required follow up letters. I found one thing surprising - at least in my case (YMMV), not one collector responded in writing. They just stopped communicating after the first letter.

So there were 2 who did nothing after 3 letters, so I sent a letter to each of the CRAs with copies of the letters I mailed to the CA, along with dates of mailing, and requested the debt be removed from my report. The CRAs removed those last 2 items (the last one was removed from TU last month). So now I show no collection items on my reports - which seriously contributed to boosting my FICO8 score 50-60 points.

I recommend you give it a shot and be persistent. Good luck!

Personal

Business

:
:
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent "Debt validation letters" to several junk debt collectors over the years. I usually never hear from them again. Recently, one was for my Wife for a used car she bought (and missed some payments on) over 20 years ago!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.