cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovered IT Not Graduating - Data Points/Advice?

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Discovered IT Not Graduating - Data Points/Advice?

I'm actually a big dummy and accidentally paid all of my cards to 0.  My Cap One secured statement doesn't close for a few more days, should I grab a coffee on it?  Can my husband's card (I'm AU) count as my AZEO?

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 21 of 36
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

I'm actually a big dummy and accidentally paid all of my cards to 0.  My Cap One secured statement doesn't close for a few more days, should I grab a coffee on it?  Can my husband's card (I'm AU) count as my AZEO?

Only way to know if that AU will count is to try it. Sometimes they dont. If all cards are at zero those points immediately come back with a reporting of some balance on one card.

Message 22 of 36
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I love a good experiment! I'll see what happens. Thank you!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 23 of 36
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

It doesn't look like I'm graduating this month.  I suppose I may on Monday, since it seems like the trend is 3 business days and my 3rd fell today (Saturday).

For the heck of it I tried the prequal since it's been a year.  I received a rate of 19.49%, which based on my reading here led me to believe the offer was firm.  I was going to hold out until mid-next week to see if the secured card graduated, but I realized I would have applied for a second card with them at one year anyhow.  I want to apply for a car loan in about a year and I think it makes sense to be inquiry free for the 12 months before, so I just said screw it why not and hit the button this morning.

I had to send proof of address.  We've only been at our current place 1 year.

I sent the proof and then called the number to follow up.  I was approved for $14,500.  I'm pretty floored.  Do you think something with my address was holding up the graduation?  Not sure what to think.  I will hold onto my secured card until Jan 10 (my Cashback match is on Jan 5).  If it doesn't graduate next month I plan to close it.

I really don't know what to make of this.  I'm thrilled of course, but find it so weird that they have been reluctant to unsecure $2500, but are cool with giving me $14,500 unsecured?

Message 24 of 36
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your approval. Last night hubby received a CLI of $1500 on the unsecured IT card bringing the total CL to $13000. Interestingly, the $2000 secured IT card that's now over 2 years old with a balance of 0 has not graduated. So for sure Discover is extremely jealousy and awkward but extremely loving once she gets to know you better! I guess she wants you in it for the long term.

By the way congrats on your massive approval!
Message 25 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It doesn't look like I'm graduating this month.  I suppose I may on Monday, since it seems like the trend is 3 business days and my 3rd fell today (Saturday).

For the heck of it I tried the prequal since it's been a year.  I received a rate of 19.49%, which based on my reading here led me to believe the offer was firm.  I was going to hold out until mid-next week to see if the secured card graduated, but I realized I would have applied for a second card with them at one year anyhow.  I want to apply for a car loan in about a year and I think it makes sense to be inquiry free for the 12 months before, so I just said screw it why not and hit the button this morning.

I sent the proof and then called the number to follow up.  I was approved for $14,500.  I'm pretty floored.  Do you think something with my address was holding up the graduation?  Not sure what to think.  I will hold onto my secured card until Jan 10 (my Cashback match is on Jan 5).  If it doesn't graduate next month I plan to close it.

I really don't know what to make of this.  I'm thrilled of course, but find it so weird that they have been reluctant to unsecure $2500, but are cool with giving me $14,500 unsecured?

Disco never makes any sense. Just roll with it.

Message 26 of 36
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Yeah, haven't graduated, based on this thread I said "the **** with it", applied a few minutes ago, boom, $5k unsecured line of credit, 0% for 14 months on balance transfer (3% fee for 3 months, 5% after) or purchases, 13.49% after, 5% bonus categories. It mentions Cashback Match but I'm already a customer so IDK about that (I'd have happily product transferred the 2%/1% secured card to a 5%/1% unsecured card had they graduated me, and used the categories).

So, given that this is gonna impact my age of credit anyways (left Ch 13 in January '19 so everything is in rebuild mode anyway), I'm going to take my $80 or so in Cashback Match on the secured card when it shows up in February, close the secured account and get my $500 deposit back. Net net I trade 11 months of account history for $4500 in credit line (and I might ask them sweetly if they'll just bump my unsecured line $500 when I close it, but if they won't I won't throw a fit).

This makes no sense but as advised I'll just roll with it.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 27 of 36
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the massive SL. See ya secured.

Message 28 of 36
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

haha awesome, welcome to the club!  I am receiving CB match for a second year, so you'll get it too.  Congrats on your approval.

I still have yet to unsecure.  I'm giving it awhile longer, but if not I'll ask for my money back around August.

Message 29 of 36
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

haha awesome, welcome to the club!  I am receiving CB match for a second year, so you'll get it too.  Congrats on your approval.

I still have yet to unsecure.  I'm giving it awhile longer, but if not I'll ask for my money back around August.

Congrats on the unsecured line of credit and second round of CB match yourself.

Yeah, like I said, all my accounts are aging from no later than January '19 except for a student loan I paid off immediately post-Ch. 13 discharge, plus a Cap1 account they say they reopened (????!?!?!, no, you closed it and you didn't even respond when I told the court I owed you money as a potential debtor claimant, but OK, I can just roll with it). I already closed one secured account when my credit union said I couldn't graduate my $500 secured card until after my Ch. 13 dropped off in 18 months. This was when I had like $20,000 in unsecured credit card lines on better no AF cards, so I just went "ok boomer credit union, give me my security deposit back and I'll use these other cards".

My plan is grab the $ from Cashback Match on the secured card at the end of February, then call into Discover and go "**bleep**? So I'd like the deposit on the secured card back seeing as you just gave me a different 5k unsecured card, what can you do for me?" and see what happens- if they insist I need to close the secured account I don't really care that much. Ideally they'd roll the credit line into the second new account and age it, but that would just be the cherry on top...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.