Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax bad debt removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax bad debt removal

I pulled my Equifax credit report about 2 months ago and noticed I had a charge off account  that just posted for $94. I contacted the collection agency and they stated that it was for not paying my Cox Cable bill and it went into collection. I explained that I've lived in Colorado for over 3 years and have cable with Comcast and when I lived in Arizona I hadn't had cable in over 15 years. I contacted Comcast to see if there was potential fraud. After being transferred 4 times and 2 and half hours later they determined that I had a balance when I closed out my account 16 years ago and with penalities and interest I owed $94. I asked to see a bill and they stated that they could not provided me any information that dates back that far and would have to resolve this with the collection agency. I filed a dispute with Equifax and was sent back a response verified. I've called the collection agency and they stated the only way they would remove it is if I paid them the $94. What options do I have left?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax bad debt removal

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled my Equifax credit report about 2 months ago and noticed I had a charge off account  that just posted for $94. I contacted the collection agency and they stated that it was for not paying my Cox Cable bill and it went into collection. I explained that I've lived in Colorado for over 3 years and have cable with Comcast and when I lived in Arizona I hadn't had cable in over 15 years. I contacted Comcast to see if there was potential fraud. After being transferred 4 times and 2 and half hours later they determined that I had a balance when I closed out my account 16 years ago and with penalities and interest I owed $94. I asked to see a bill and they stated that they could not provided me any information that dates back that far and would have to resolve this with the collection agency. I filed a dispute with Equifax and was sent back a response verified. I've called the collection agency and they stated the only way they would remove it is if I paid them the $94. What options do I have left?

Hi ciretower! Welcome!

According to the information that you've provided, this debt is well past the credit reporting time period (CRTP). Did the CA ever send you a dunning letter?

I'll suggest that you first file a complaint with your state's AG office and record the complaint number. Additionally, file a complaint witht he FTC against the CA,, reording the complaint number. The basis of your complaint is that they are in violation of the the FCRA by reporting beyond the CRTP, and possibly a violation of FDCPA if they failed to send you a dunning letter.

Stop any verbal communication with the CA, and send them a DV letter CMRR. You can search this forum for examples of a DV letter. Include int he DV letter that you have opened complaints with your AG and file a complaint with the FTC. Send your DV CMRR.

Since you've already disputed with the CRA and it came back verified, search this forum for an example of a MOV letter. Send the MOV (Method of Verification) letter CM to the Equifax.

While you wait (30 + 5 day for a response to your DV & 15 days for a response to your MOV letter to the CRA) contact the Comcast Corporate HQ and request a statement of the account in question. They should be able to provide it for you.

If the account isn't removed, you will have established a solid paper trail of your having done everything within a consumer's power to get the account removed. You can either wait for your AG to to resolve the issue on your behalf, or SUE THEM. I strongly suggest the latter. Contact a consumer attorney to really make it hurt (expensive legal fees that the CA and possibly EQ will be paying).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to have a collection from comcast. It was a mix up with the mail and it was only 3 months late till it was paid. I tried talking to comcast so many different times and they were not helpful and rude. They refused to delete or help me delete.

I ended up getting a successful GW from the ca reporting it, thank fully. 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no direct violation of the FCRA due to any party reporting to a CRA beyond any period of time.  They can theoretically report forever.

But they must report accurately.

What FCRA 605(a) says is that for each of the items of information listed, it is the CRA who is prohibited from incuding the reported information in any credit report they issue after those dates. They are not reporting date limitations placed on creditors.   So inclsuion of such a collection in your CR after such a long period of time is, in fact, a violation of FCRA 605(a) by the CRA, and not the debt collector.

To enforce this, the CRA has to know the accurate DOFD on the OC account in order to determine whether inclusion in your CR is permissible.  That is covered by FCRA 623(a)(5), which is there solely to provide a DOFD to the CRAs that they need to calculate credit reporting fall off dates.

So it may not be reporting due to fault of the CRA, but rather as a result of faulty reporting of DOFD by the debt collector.

The DOFD gets into your credit file by the provision of FCRA 623(a)(5)(B).  This involves a three-step process.

IF the OC originally reported a DOFD to the CRA, then the debt collector is required, under FCRA 623(5)(B)(i) to report that same date.

If the OC did not rprevioulsy report to the CRA, then, under FCRA 623(a)(5)(B)(ii), they have to follow "reasonable procedures to obtain the date of delinquency from the creditor."

If the OC did not previously report to the CRA, and they have exercised "reasonable procedures" to obtain that date from the creditor, but were unsuccessful, then FCRA 623(a)(5)(B)(iii) kicks in. Under this circumstance, they are them requried to take "reasonable procedures to ensure the date reported as the date of delinquency precedes the date on which the account is placed for collection, charged to profit or loss, or subjected to any similar action, and reports such date to the credit reportring agency."

This last scenario is probably what they will argue.

Note that "date placed for collection" is NOT the date the debt collector reported a CA to the CRA.  Is is the date they were referred collection authority by the OC.

How would I address this mess?

First, I would file a direct dispute with the CA under FCRA 623(a)(8) and 16 CFR 660.4.  In this dispute, I wou8d not dispute the legality of the CRA including the CA in your CR.  What I would dispute is the accuracy of the DOFD that they have reported to the CRA.  That, of course, is a dispute of their reporrting to the CRA under apparent viioltion of  the accurate DOFD date provisions of FCRA 623(a)(5)(B), subsections (ii) and (iii).  Ask then for disclousre of compliance with the "reasonable procedures" used to determine the DOFD from the OC.  Ask them if the the OC responded to their request.  Ask then for the date that the OC "placed the account into collection" with them.  Their DOFD cant precede that.  Finally, ask them the date of delinquency that they reported to the CRA.

Second, you have the total right to requrie the CRA to disclose to you any item of information that has been reported to your credit file.  FCRA 609(a)(1).

You can thus, independent of what the CA may tell you, get the actual DOFD that they reported to the CRA.

Thus, also file with the CRA a request under FCRA 609(a)(1), all information in your credit file reported to them under the required provisions of FCRA 623(a)(5).

The CRAs record this date in their credit files as the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinquency," so throw that designtion of what ytou are seeking in for clarity.

They must comply,  However, such a requrest to the CRA requires payment of a processing fee to them, under FCRA 612(f) which is currently $10.50.  So include a check payable to the CRA in that amount when requesting the disclosure of this information.

That will give you avenues for securing compliance with FCRA 605(a), both by mandatory responses from the debt collector and by the CRA.

I would hold off on the filing of formal complaints with your state AG or with the FTC until you know the party at fault for this prohibited reporting.

I would strongly guess that the culprit is inaccurate reporting of DOFD by the debt collector to the CRA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.