Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exeter Auto Loan Late payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exeter Auto Loan Late payments

My husbands truck was financed through Exeter Finance in 2016. His payment due date is the 10th of each month and we've had a few times over the years where we have paid it with his check at the end of the month, which would be subject to a late fee BUT not 30 days late. They have reported it 30 days late 4 of those times when we very clearly were not 30 days late. So both our credit reports have these late payments that are greatly affecting our score since they are the most recent activity. I poured through our statements and online account activity and took screenshots of the exact date the payments were made for each one of the 4 they reported late. All of which are either 19-20 days late, NOT 30. 

What can I do with this? Do I reach out to Exeter first and try to get them to take them off or do I send these to the credit bureaus? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Exeter Auto Loan Late payments

@Anonymous wrote:

My husbands truck was financed through Exeter Finance in 2016. His payment due date is the 10th of each month and we've had a few times over the years where we have paid it with his check at the end of the month, which would be subject to a late fee BUT not 30 days late. They have reported it 30 days late 4 of those times when we very clearly were not 30 days late. So both our credit reports have these late payments that are greatly affecting our score since they are the most recent activity. I poured through our statements and online account activity and took screenshots of the exact date the payments were made for each one of the 4 they reported late. All of which are either 19-20 days late, NOT 30. 

What can I do with this? Do I reach out to Exeter first and try to get them to take them off or do I send these to the credit bureaus? 

I would use the direct dispute with them.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried the direct dispute as well as sending letters for removal and all I have received back are letters from them that the late payment is accurate and there will be no changes.

We are now getting ready to start shopping for a mortgage and I know the most recent late in Sept 2018 will affect this greatly. I know this was inaccurate and I cannot get them to budge. I don't know what to do now...I even took screenshots of exactly what day the payment was made and mailed that with the letters.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried the direct dispute as well as sending letters for removal and all I have received back are letters from them that the late payment is accurate and there will be no changes.

We are now getting ready to start shopping for a mortgage and I know the most recent late in Sept 2018 will affect this greatly. I know this was inaccurate and I cannot get them to budge. I don't know what to do now...I even took screenshots of exactly what day the payment was made and mailed that with the letters.

You can file a BBB report over shoddy business practices and if this fails then file a complaint with their regulator. If they deal with more than 10B in assets then a complaint can be filed with the CFPB.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would file a complaint with the CFPB, I know that agency has been gutted a bit but we had a couple of issues like this a few years ago and just filing the complaint was enough to get the creditors to remove the stuff from the CRAs.   

Message 5 of 6
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I think if you were to dispute with the bureaus, it SHOULD get removed, because the bureau will ask the reporting company for evidence, and they will not have evidence. Since you've already tried with the company, I would dispute with the bureau(s). Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.