cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False collection on credit report - trying to resolve

tag
ktsweets

False collection on credit report - trying to resolve

there is a collection on my credit report from a creditor I've never even heard of and never had any accounts with.  I called them up and they couldn't give me any information because, of course, they don't have me in their system.  On my credit report,  the account number is xx'd out, so I can't give them an account number either.  Is there ANY way I can find out that account number from the credit bureau?  That way I can call the company back, give them that number, and they can SEE it isn't mine?

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I'm anticipating a nightmare in trying to get this resolved.  I did dispute with the CB's, hopefully that helps.  It's amazing how false reporting can ruin your credit score...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ktsweets

Re: False collection on credit report - trying to resolve

just checked my other two credit reports, which don't show this collection and both have my credit score in the mid 700's (vs 640!! for transunion).  I feel like that commercial where they have two good looking "scores" and one ugly one...   

Message 2 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@ktsweets wrote:

just checked my other two credit reports, which don't show this collection and both have my credit score in the mid 700's (vs 640!! for transunion).  I feel like that commercial where they have two good looking "scores" and one ugly one...   

Welcome!

how old is the debt and with what collection company is it with? Have you ever received a letter from them?

I would probably send a DV letter to them. They will likely have some informaiton on the account, even if they are claiming they 'can't find you'

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 9
wmcodywilson
New Contributor

+1 Immediately DV them. Usually takes a few weeks to get a response back and if they can't come up with anything, they will more than likely remove it.

Also if you go to annualcreditreport.com, you can obtain most of the account number there.

Starting Score: EQ 489 1/2012 TU 493 1/2012
Current Score: EQ 547 5/2012 TU 562 5/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
ktsweets

No, I never received any type of correspondence from the original creditor OR collection agency... never even heard of this company until today.  And, it just started reporting this month (I pulled TU back in Feb & it wasn't showing on there), but it shows the collection  is from Sept '11?    

The account # from the annualcreditreport.com did not show the last two numbers....  Would I still be able to send a debt validation letter without a full account #?  

Message 5 of 9
ktsweets

sorry one more question - isn't the dispute I did with TU basically a debt validation?  If they can't prove to TU that it's my account (which it SEEMS like it would be hard to do, since it ISNT my account) then it should be removed?

Message 6 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@ktsweets wrote:

sorry one more question - isn't the dispute I did with TU basically a debt validation?  If they can't prove to TU that it's my account (which it SEEMS like it would be hard to do, since it ISNT my account) then it should be removed?

No. The DV process has nothing to do with the dispute process with the CRA -- The CRA doesn't really require much to 'valiate' the account. It is all done electronicallly. Although the information is not accurate, and not frivilous, there is always a pretty good chance it will come back as 'validated' on a CRA system

The DV process is a little more robust, and will give you at least better information as to what the account states if they provide, in my opinion. If they don't response, they are reuired to cease collection activity until the time they choose to respond.

You can do both at the same time if you'd like, they aren't the same process.

-scott

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dealing with information in your credit report that does not relate to an account or transaction authorized by you is usually best handled through the identity theft processes under the FCRA rather than the dispute process or the DV process.

When a creditor reports an account that is allegedly yours, they are presumably reporting in good faith.  When you dispute, they look at their records and see, yup, they show your name.  When they verify accuracy of disputed information, they are not required to provide documentation.  So the consumer is left in the lurch.

That is what the identity theft process addresses.  If you first put your assertion into the form of a sworn police report, then FCRA 609(e) kicks in.  You can send the police report to the creditor, and compel them to provide to you all business records pertaining to the authorization of the account and transactions made under the account.  The dispute process does not compel their production of documents.  The identity theft process does, and also does not put a dispute in your credit file.

You can also send a copy of the police report to the CRA, and compel them under FCRA 605B to block the information from  your credit report.  That block also prohibts any sale or referral of the debt for collection.

Finally, you can send a copy of the police report to any debt collector, and also compel them to provide you any information you would have otherwise been entitled to if you had disputed with them.

I would suggest use of the identity theft process in addition to the much weaker dispute and DV processes.

Message 8 of 9
KeenAura

I disagree with your interpretation. The DV process calls for a full-fledged "investigation." No investigation would be complete without checking those documents you describe. It should not have to fall on the consumer to file a police report just because they an agency reports an unrecognized debt. It is the burden on the person claiming that a debt is owed to provide evidence of that debt. If they can't even produce a simple piece of paper showing the signed authorization of the debtor and a letter of agreement of agency on behalf of the original creditor giving them permission to attempt collecting the debt, along with any terms and conditions in effect at the time the consumer signed the agreement, then how can they justifiably continue to report the debt to the bureaus after you have DV'd it?

An investigation cannot be complete with just a "yep, we got your name on file with a dollar amount after it cuz that's what the original creditor has listed on this line item that we bought for pennies on the dollar because it is out of the SOL and we'll be lucky to get a dime from it."

Credit Scores (will pull FICO on 8-1-12):
--Start, 5-8-12: Transrisk (TU) 545, Plus (EX) 555, CE (EX) 535, Risk (EQ) 573. Mean: 552; Median: 550
--Goal, 8-1-13: Median of the TU, EX, and EQ FICO scores: 640
--Goal, 3-1-15: Median of the TU, EX, and EQ FICO scores: 760
Credit Utilization 0% (Card / Balance / Limit): Capital One / $0 / $200.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.