Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello My Name Is...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello My Name Is...

Greetings all! This is my first post, but Ive been benefiting from all the great advise on here for a few months now.  Well I'm a re-builder and I think I'm at a pretty good spot to start "gardening for a while" I am 4 years out of BK (due to drop off in 2017) and I have 2 old accounts (car loans) due to drop off in 2015 (spring).  I have a boat load of inquiries because it was addictive to get approved for anything after not being credit worthy for so long. Now I think the high is over and I'm back down to earth now and ready to manage the credit I have.  BUT, I would love to qualify for just one "Prime" card at some point. IE Discover, AMEX. etc with a great CL. I currently have (deep breathe) Barclay MC (500) Capitol One MC (300) Capitol One Visa Journey (500) True Value Store Card (350)  Walmart Store Card (400) J Crew Store Card (250) Target Red Card (300) Khols Store Card (300) Kay Jewelers (3000) Amazon Store Card (600) PayPal Smart Connect (500) and FingerHut (500). Everything is reporting except Khols and Kay. Like I said, the damage is done and I think the "approval itch" is over. Any advise on how to move forward and when to try for that prime card. Thanks for reading all this and I hope everyone has a great day! PS I just opened up an account at Delta Community Credit Union (which gave me another hard pull from EQ) maybe my prime opportunity will come from a good relationship with them. Oh yeah, my utilization is around 53% (School shopping for the kids, lol)  but I'm aggressively working on that now and if Kay's reports(3000) it my help me out a bit. Again, thanks!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Hello My Name Is...

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion you should garden (not apply) your current cards a minimum of a year. When you do apply your utilization for best Fico scoreing should be between 1%-9% if you included AMEX, Citi, Chase or Discover in your Bankruptcy they do black list. You may have a chance with Barclay Rewards or Discover after a year. AMEX and Chase have blacklisted me for 17 years. While gardening read as much on here as you can about the cards you need. Remember from now on apply for cards you need ( rewards etc) not cards you want. By applying for cards you want you maybe denied for cards you really need! Good Luck with your credit journey. After all credit is a journey not a race. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums !

I'm going to move your post to the rebuilding forum for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Coldnmn! Thank  you for the response. I did not include any credit cards in my BK so I'm OK on that end. Man, 1 year, that's hard but no impossible :-). I was thinking along the lines of maybe 6 months before I tried to get a card with my new credit union. But I do appreciate your counsel, I just may give it a year! Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Coldnmn! Thank  you for the response. I did not include any credit cards in my BK so I'm OK on that end. Man, 1 year, that's hard but no impossible :-). I was thinking along the lines of maybe 6 months before I tried to get a card with my new credit union. But I do appreciate your counsel, I just may give it a year! Thanks.

Well you will know when the time is right. you have so many current cards. but that is not the reason you want to wait the 1 year.

Because although the inquiries will stay on your report for 2 years. they no longer will have affect on your score after 1 year. also. around the same time you will have many credit limit increase on your current cards. and you should have your utilization low. then you will be ready for another spree if you desire. but next time go for prime only. you already have the store cards. so let them grow with you. good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.