cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/ how to handle final payment

tag
Misseylee

Help w/ how to handle final payment

Back in Nov 2008 an attorneys office froze our bank acct. My husband had an old CC that apparently wasn't pd. Every time he would get something in the mail from various CA's we would tell them he didn't owe anyone. The acct kept going from CA to CA.

We "assumed" it went away until the bank acct got frozen. Long story short, after many phone calls and a promise from us to make payments,( 50. per month)  ( we couldn't afford the settlement offer for 1 time payment) and they agreed we would only have to pay the current balance of 2,995., we agreed but we wanted in writing. Gave us the song and dance we can get anything in writing until we "pay" the down payment. We pd 300. down right away and it still took them 30 days to unfreeze our bank acct and yup they would never give us in writing the settlement agreement.

Everytime we'd call and request it and threaten to stop paying, they threatened to freeze the bank acct again.  We've been paying this ON time every month since Nov 2008, it's almost pd off now and we're just not sure how to handle just sending the last payment. SHould we just sent it w/ a letter saying this is last payment as per our conversation? This doesn't even show up on his credit report at all. Our fear is that when we stop paying they are going to say now they want more for interest since we dont have anything in writing. Any thoughts, suggestions, help. Sorry the post was so long Smiley Happy   

thanks so much

Edit: tried to make it a little  easier to read.  --Rev  Also moving it to Rebuilding forum

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Help w/ how to handle final payment

Have you considered going up to the bank in person to demand the letter? If I were you, I would move your deposits to another bank or CU so that they can't use that as leverage against you anymore. Do not tell them you are moving your accounts. Once they are moved, give them the ultimatum...the settlement letter or default. Good luck!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 3
Misseylee

Re: Help w/ how to handle final payment

I think you misunderstood, they froze our bank acct way back in 2008 when this first started. It was our credit union at the tme. It was the CA that froze it with paperwork ( not sure of what it's called) it wasn't up to our credit union.  My concern is Currently he only has 2 paymtns lefts and just wondering how to handle the "final payment" thx 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.