Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some pointers for rebuilding my credit and I have no idea where to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some pointers for rebuilding my credit and I have no idea where to start

I am brand new here.  I have suffered several blows to my credit after illness and my mom's death that have negatively impacted my credit.  I currently have the following scores:

Equifax 617 Transunion 603 Experian 611

I want to qualify to purchase a home in the next 18 months because I'm adopting two little boys and starting over in my middle age. 

My question is in the past I have gotten things removed by simply disputing them or negotiating with creditors.  I don't know if either of these tactics work in current credit times.  I have 6 accounts that I haven't paid on in over two years and obviously there blowing my credit score.  I also have a judgement.  What would be the best approach to beginning to rebuild?  Should I focus on satisfying the judgement first or focus on removing or paying down the accounts that I haven't paid on in years?  Where do you start when you're so far in the hole?  My goal is to reach 708 score before I apply for a mortgage loan.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need some pointers for rebuilding my credit and I have no idea where to start

Welcome!

The folks here will be able to advise you best if they have a more detailed understanding of your accounts.  So I am going to suggest that you list for them all of your open accounts, all of the closed accounts on which you owe money, and all of your derogs.  The following template will help them:

Open cards in good standing:

Card 1.  Balance = ____  Credit Limit = ______

Card 2.  Balance = ____  Credit Limit = ______

Card 3.  Balance = ____  Credit Limit = ______

etc.

Include here any revolving account, even if it is not technically a "card."

Open loans in good standing::

Loan 1.  Balance = ____  Original Amount of Loan = ______

Loan 2.  Balance = ____  Original Amount of Loan = ______

Loan 3.  Balance = ____  Original Amount of Loan = ______

etc.

Closed cards on which you still owe a balance:

Card 1.  Balance = ____

Card 2.  Balance = ____

Card 3.  Balance = ____

etc.

Closed loans on which you still owe a balance:

Loan 1.  Balance = ____

Loan 2.  Balance = ____

etc.

Derogs (lates, charge-offs, collections, judgments, public records, liens, bankruptcies)

List each one and its date.  If it is a late, be sure to indicate whether it is a Day 30, Day 60, Day 90, etc.

If it is a collection, indicate how much the collection is for

Base all the above information on your credit reports.

A moderator may move this thread to the rebuilding forum, if in his judgment that is the best place for it.

Finally, write a short paragraph that indicates clearly how much cash you have available now to begin paying off debts, and how much cash you think you might have in the upcoming 15 months for that.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need some pointers for rebuilding my credit and I have no idea where to start

@Anonymous

Welcome to MyFICO

As CreditGuyinDixie mentioned that the thread might be moved, I have placed it here in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum where these issues are routinely discussed.  It would also be beneficial to others trying to assist your that you provide as much information as possible as CGD indicates.

Good luck in your efforts

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.