cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something I'm not being told?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there something I'm not being told?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Huge update:

Ever since paying my last bill from a phone company and disconnecting myself from my credit score, it has been up and down. Fast forward to September 2020, I currently stand at; Trans: 647 | EQ: 703 | EXP: 695. Mind you, I still have Hard Inquiries in Trans (last one would fade in Dec 2020) I also know, that i have to wait until those inquiries fade away so I can see if I can start rebuilding my credit.

I know this is going to sound desperate but a couple of weeks ago, I did a pre-qualification to buy a PC on a world known brand. The pre-qulaification acoording to them "would not impact my credit score"  but will let me know if I'm able to get a payment plan for that specific product. Indeed, it did not impact my score and I got approved for $1,000. Now, I don't need that but, I was curious to see if they would approve it. Now since that company "approved" me for up to 1k, could I try to sign up for a secured credit card, or wait until December to apply when all the inquiries fade away?

Interesting thread, hopefully you've read up and learned a bit? 

You could wait for the inquiries to fade, but if you opened up accounts last year like what was suggested you might be ready.

Try these out:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/ 

https://www.chase.com/prequalified 

https://www.bbt.com/offers/checkOffers 

https://apply.us.hsbc.com/apps/servlet/SmartForm.html?formCode=ccoprequal&promoid=RVM&marketingcode=ZZZZZZZZZZ&irgwc=1&cid=ZZZZZZZZZZ&pStack=ZZZZZZZZZZ  

https://online.bbvausa.com/apply/credit-card-prequal 

The only "open" account I have is the Paypal Cashback debit (which doesn't do anything). Other than that, I dont have anything else. 

UPDATE DEC 2020: After waiting patiently for all of the "hard inquiries" to fade away, I gave it a try to see if I could get approved. Unfortunately, BBT, Chase & AmeriExpress said that "there were no offers for me", HSBC was undergoing manteinance and I haven't typed anything under BBVA America. I haven't made any requests or applied for any credit cards until now. Is there a reason why?

Message 21 of 44
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No pre-qualification doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be approved. It also doesn't mean you would. At this point it just sounds like a crapshoot. It could also be due to your file still having issues and lenders being unable to access it. Not sure.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

No pre-qualification doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be approved. It also doesn't mean you would. At this point it just sounds like a crapshoot. It could also be due to your file still having issues and lenders being unable to access it. Not sure.

Anything you would recommend I should do?

Message 23 of 44
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well are there any baddies on your reports still? What are your current scores?

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Well are there any baddies on your reports still? What are your current scores?

Ever since my last update, my score has gone down a bit (and of course, no logical explanation as to why) but here's how it stands as of right now;

Trans: 608, EQ: 704, EXP:736. As for baddies? The only thing I can think of it's those 9 "hard inquiries" I've made before (which should be gone by now, and the reason I've waited so long to do this) and nothing else.

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull your three reports. You can do this weekly through this coming April. Print the reports and go over them side by side - something on your EQ report is inconsistent with the other two. You can also see the age/status of the inquiries. Any that are more than a year old are not counting in your score. Let us know what you find in each report - I'm wondering if you have an erroneous collection or maybe medical collection on EQ that you aren't aware of. The difference between TU and EX can be believed as each bureau weighs things slightly differently, but EQ being 100 points lower screams of derogatory accounts.

Post up with the differences and info from those reports and let's figure out what's going on. Also, are you sourcing all of your quoted scores from FICO? None of them are from WalletHub or Credit Karma or the like, right?

Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull your three reports. You can do this weekly through this coming April. Print the reports and go over them side by side - something on your EQ report is inconsistent with the other two. You can also see the age/status of the inquiries. Any that are more than a year old are not counting in your score. Let us know what you find in each report - I'm wondering if you have an erroneous collection or maybe medical collection on EQ that you aren't aware of. The difference between TU and EX can be believed as each bureau weighs things slightly differently, but EQ being 100 points lower screams of derogatory accounts.

Post up with the differences and info from those reports and let's figure out what's going on. Also, are you sourcing all of your quoted scores from FICO? None of them are from WalletHub or Credit Karma or the like, right?

I will do that right now. Derogatory? I just checked Trans and EQ and theyre both at 0% derogatory marks. And yes, I've been using Credit Karma for TRANS and EQ and the Experian app for EXP all this time, I guess it's time to get my score somewhere else?

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

On Credit Karma, when it says 0% derogatory, it means no outstanding late balances. A paid and closed collection that is just sitting there riding out its seven year reporting period is still harming a score but CK will not show it under derogs because it's paid. Going in to see your full report on there, you'll see it.

Yes, you need a new score source. CK and the other monitor services provide scores based on the VantageScore 3.0 model, not FICO. Any correlation between FICO and VS3 scores is coincidental - their algorithms are considerably different. Your scores may line up perfectly, they may differ by over a hundred points, or the differences may fall somewhere in between. The key takeaway is that Synchrony Bank is the only major player known to base lending decisions primarily on a VS score (they use the newer VS4 score). Other lenders may take a cursory look at it but they base almost all decisions on some variant of FICO score. Therefore, those are the ones you want.

You can get your FICO8 scores at www.creditchecktotal.com for a dollar. Just cancel before seven days pass or you'll be enrolled in an auto-billed $30/month subscription. Pay a buck, get scores, cancel. Rinse and repeat as often as you like. That will give you your true standing on scores that matter and will help you gauge your odds with lenders.

Message 28 of 44
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will do that right now. Derogatory? I just checked Trans and EQ and theyre both at 0% derogatory marks. And yes, I've been using Credit Karma for TRANS and EQ and the Experian app for EXP all this time, I guess it's time to get my score somewhere else?

Yes, you need your full reports, either from the credit check total website that includes scores, or from the free annualcreditreport.com site with no scores. Preferrably the annualcreditreport.com reports because they're the most comprehensive ones around and right now they're free weekly until 4/21.  And they'll list out any and all derogatories as well as their fall off dates.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On Credit Karma, when it says 0% derogatory, it means no outstanding late balances. A paid and closed collection that is just sitting there riding out its seven year reporting period is still harming a score but CK will not show it under derogs because it's paid. Going in to see your full report on there, you'll see it.

Yes, you need a new score source. CK and the other monitor services provide scores based on the VantageScore 3.0 model, not FICO. Any correlation between FICO and VS3 scores is coincidental - their algorithms are considerably different. Your scores may line up perfectly, they may differ by over a hundred points, or the differences may fall somewhere in between. The key takeaway is that Synchrony Bank is the only major player known to base lending decisions primarily on a VS score (they use the newer VS4 score). Other lenders may take a cursory look at it but they base almost all decisions on some variant of FICO score. Therefore, those are the ones you want.

You can get your FICO8 scores at www.creditchecktotal.com for a dollar. Just cancel before seven days pass or you'll be enrolled in an auto-billed $30/month subscription. Pay a buck, get scores, cancel. Rinse and repeat as often as you like. That will give you your true standing on scores that matter and will help you gauge your odds with lenders.

Okay, I managed to do the anual credit report thing, and before the website crashed (or so I think it did) there was a message on the EQ and Trans tabs that read:

"Sorry we can't show you today's 3 credit bureau. This might mean that Equifax has no record of your credit history or different personal details for you on file. Until this is resolved, you won't be able to see your report". 

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.