Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a dumb idea?

tag
jons998877
Regular Contributor

Is this a dumb idea?

I have an account in collections with Tek-Collect, they called me over the weekend and after talking with them, they said they would offer me a PFD if I paid it by Friday.. Well I do not have the money, but what I am thinking about doing is getting a personal loan thru OneMain for the $1200 and get the collections off my reports. Has a high rate (28%), but would also give me a positive tradeline and get the collections off my account sooner, and should be able to get it paid off within 2-3 months so might only cost me about $75 in interest. 

I currently have 5 collections on my account, one is paid (Portfilio Recovery, should fall off in two weeks).. another is paid, I am working on GW.. 2 more are set of hit the 7 year window this summer... and this one for $1200..

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Is this a dumb idea?

@jons998877 wrote:

I have an account in collections with Tek-Collect, they called me over the weekend and after talking with them, they said they would offer me a PFD if I paid it by Friday.. Well I do not have the money, but what I am thinking about doing is getting a personal loan thru OneMain for the $1200 and get the collections off my reports. Has a high rate (28%), but would also give me a positive tradeline and get the collections off my account sooner, and should be able to get it paid off within 2-3 months so might only cost me about $75 in interest. 

I currently have 5 collections on my account, one is paid (Portfilio Recovery, should fall off in two weeks).. another is paid, I am working on GW.. 2 more are set of hit the 7 year window this summer... and this one for $1200..

If they are willing to do PDF by Friday, they will be willing to do it at later time, too. It's a tactic to make you pay asap. 

If you will have enough money in 2-3 months , approach them again at that time. I would not take a loan at that insane APR, you never know what can happen. You have other negatives, so getting in more debt to remove only one derog is really not the wisest choice. 

Save up the money and contact them when ready. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not, I repeat do not take a loan from OneMain, unless you absolutely have to.  High interest rates, and they have some funky way of calculating interest.  One of the worst ideas I made...

Message 3 of 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I have never borrowed from OneMain. Pursell1911's comment would make me think twice about that company.

Conceptually, though, I don't think it's a terrible idea if you are 100% confident you can pay it back in a short timeframe. As you say, it would create an additional positive account.

I don't see why the offer would REALLY expire after Friday, though.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 8
jons998877
Regular Contributor

I assume the offer would be out there later, but I guess never know..

And no question this will be paid back in 2-3 months, I am moving in with my GF this month so my expenses will go WAY down, plus I teach so my summer job will be all extra money I will use to pay it off

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@jons998877 wrote:

If they are willing to do PDF by Friday, they will be willing to do it at later time, too. It's a tactic to make you pay asap. 

If you will have enough money in 2-3 months , approach them again at that time. I would not take a loan at that insane APR, you never know what can happen. You have other negatives, so getting in more debt to remove only one derog is really not the wisest choice. 

Save up the money and contact them when ready. 

Im gonna second this.  Also I would make sure to have the PFD in writing and in my hands before I pay.  They can pretty much tell you anything to get you to pay asap. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No way would I take that loan.  Your instincts are already telling you its not a great idea so trust your gut.  On the PFD front,  tell them you will make installments to them if they put the PFD in writing.  If they are legit in their offer they will accept because they paid pennys on the dollar for your debt and they know they won't get paid unless they make the deal make sense.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.