Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Capital -- Emblem Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jefferson Capital -- Emblem Card Question

I received a solicitation yesterday, from Jefferson Capital, to apply for an Emblem Card.  :smileyconfused:
I thought, "Why on earth would a collection agency issue credit?! That's insane!!", then I jumped in to do some research. 
All I see are posts here and on Reddit where people were issued a card in accordance with some payoff agreement, so I went through all of my papework with JC and I can find no agreement because I paid my two collection accounts in full, so... 

...Is this a thing now? They are in cahoots with a bank and they're just like, "Good job on adulting, here's a new card to help you." ?? 

Does no one else think this is weird?  
Are there maybe some benefits to this I'm glossing over?  
I'm sorry, I just cannot wrap my head around this, they can issue and collect and no one thinks this might be an ethically gray area? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Slowlyrebuilding
Contributor

Re: Jefferson Capital -- Emblem Card Question

They don't issue the card. I believe it's Bank of Missouri.

they typically give you a credit limit equal to what you paid off to Jefferson Capital 

Message 2 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Looks like Amex Optima approach

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

Is that a good or bad thing?

Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

Is that a good or bad thing?

I dont know. Looks like both are similar. With Amex we need to pay the CO amount in full and they will give Optima with 1/3 CO amount. Jefferson Capital is similare with some differences. The Emblem credit card is an unsecured credit card offered by Jefferson Capital Solutions as a part of their fresh start program. ... When your debt goes intro collection the agency offers you to pay off a part of your debt and the issues you an Emblem card with the remaining debt as a balance owed on the credit card.

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Frankly I would not want to have a credit card that is owned by a JDB, I would run in the opposite direction.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Frankly I would not want to have a credit card that is owned by a JDB, I would run in the opposite direction.

As long as that was freaking someone else out with me. Lol! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.