cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint credit cards accounts

Visitor

Joint credit cards accounts

Hi

Does any one which credit card allows yo add a joint to an exsiting Account.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Joint credit cards accounts

You can add an AU authorized user to mostly all CC accounts. Some banks give a small bonus to do so.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC.
Message 2 of 12
Community Leader
Legendary Contributor

A joint account holder is different from an authorized user.

A joint account holder is legally responsible for the loan as a co-holder, while an authorized user has no legal obligation for any debt on the account.

A joint account holder signs and agrees to responsibility, and cannot simply be added without a new contractural agreement with teh creditor.

The creditor will normally require a new loan agreement, with both parties signing as joint account holders.

I know of no creditors who will legally permit a consumer to simply add another party to an existing account.

Message 3 of 12
Valued Contributor

I stand corrected. Thanks RobertEG. Learned 1 more thing on the boards now. But if a primary messes up doesnt the AU get nailed too? Just as a joint account. Or does the AU get the score hit but they dont come after the AU if the primary doesnt pay. Thanks.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC.
Message 4 of 12
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I stand corrected. Thanks RobertEG. Learned 1 more thing on the boards now. But if a primary messes up doesnt the AU get nailed too? Just as a joint account. Or does the AU get the score hit but they dont come after the AU if the primary doesnt pay. Thanks.

I am somewhat  sure they get the score hit, but are not legally/financially liable.

Penfed gold
Penfed promise
NFCU cash rewards
NFCU Amex
Nfcu Platinum

Citi simplicity
Discover
Amex BCE
Amex Magnet
Amex SPG
Wayfair
Care credit
Macys
Amazon store card
Walmart store card
Marvel card
FICO EXP 735 TU 729 EQ 724
Message 5 of 12
Established Contributor

ANy negative reporting done to an AU can be removed with a simple dispute... not mine AU Only
Excuse the Typos - usually responding via mobile.

Message 6 of 12
Visitor

Thank you. But I was told by a friend that he has done it a while ago but doesn’t remember which bank and he was able to add an joint to a existing account.

So if any one knows which card issuers allows it please reply
Message 7 of 12
Established Contributor

WHY Would you want to be a JOINT Account holder?
AU Usually report and help your score...

Don't sign up for more liability?

Message 8 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Au is the best way to go in my opinion. Hubby and I are joint account holders for a credit card at our local credit union, however we signed up for the card together.

I've never heard of anyone being added after the fact except as AU.

Message 9 of 12
Established Contributor

I Know US Bank allows you to add a Join Account Holder... but BOTH Account Holders must meet there credit underwriting.

Message 10 of 12