Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement Problem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement Problem

I don't have any collections on my account.  But, I have a judgement that was paid from 2004 in the amount of $271 dollars.  What really irritates me about the whole thing........

In 2004 I was hit by a drunk driver.  I was in the hospital for 4 1/2 months.  The state had to come in and help with food, cash, medical, home nurses..........you name it.

While I was in the hospital I had a family member caring for my children.  They had the EBT card and made sure the kids had food and anything else they may need.  This car accident left me unable to walk for 1 year and 6 months.  My children weren't aloud to see me for the first 3 months because they did not know if I was going to make it.

When I did return home I had a nurse living with us to help me with everything, eating, washing, walking.  One day I receive a letter that the county overpaid me in food support while I was in the hospital for the $271 bucks.  I certainly wasn't working and the only income we were receiving was from the state.  hmmmmm........how do I repay them.

So I call...........being responsible to try and work something out.  They tell me it will go before a judge the next week.  I explain I can not walk or drive and I don't have a way to get to the court house.  Is there another way to take care of it?  Nope.  But, you don't have to be here they tell me.  Okay.  Great was my response.  They told me they would take the money out of my childsupport.  Which they did.

And then to my surprise and stupidity here comes the judgement on my credit.  I can not get credit cards, cars, mortgage.........nothing because everytime they pull my credit they assume I have a bankruptcy.

Is there anyway I have any recourse in this matter? 

My scores are currently:

TU/646
EQ/647
EX/681

Thanks for your help.  I feel like the county took advantage of me in my condition for their error.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement Problem

Sorry to hear about that...maybe you can contact the court...get the name of the lawyer in the suit...and try to get a "Release of Judgment"...
Message 2 of 3
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Re: Judgement Problem

I would definitely go to the courts and verify there is a judgment on record and that it shows paid, then I'd look into getting it "vacated" it's very possible to have this happen. It's time consuming but worth you ensuring that everything on your credit report matches what's at the court house from index # to name etc. Each state's system is different but I'd do a complete record check and exploring your options on that end before going to the CRA's.

Good luck!

Message Edited by braznyc on 05-04-2008 03:12 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.