Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Med CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Med CA

I had an issue with a hospital company here in TX. There was an outstanding balance of about $50 that did not get paid and was referred to a collection agency (IC Systems). As soon as it showed up on my reports I contacted the OC (hospital biller) and paid. The lady I spoke with assured me she would take it out of collections, since they still owned the debt, and it would be removed from my credit reports.

After I paid, I disputed the TL with Experian and after a week or so IC Systems "updated" the item as being paid, now with a $0 balance.

I called the original lady I spoke with back this morning and she said she had talked with ICS, who apparently "tried" to remove it but wasn't able to, since it was already on the reports. However, where it gets interesting is that she told me IC Systems deletes their paid collection accounts from credit reports every few months, so I wouldn't have to wait too long for it to go away. Can anyone confirm or deny this?? Otherwise, what would my next step be in removing a paid CA?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Med CA

Step 1) Send the CRAs the pre-HIPPA letter.

Step 2) Send the OC the HIPAA letter, insert "b" (paid).

That should be it. You paid the OC, so the CA has no business purpose in reporting.

Your HIPAA (medical privacy) rights are being violated.

Read here for more info (the letters are in this thread):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=19972
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!

One question though.. Is it ok to say I have no knowledge of the account even if I do (clearly I do because I paid it). Is the typical course of action that EX and EQ (the ones reporting) would send me some info on the account or some other type of response?

Also, what about the thing with IC System deleting the account after a "couple of months?" It sounds like they know they can't report it, and if this is the case, I'd just wait the few months, otherwise the HIPAA stuff looks to be really helpful!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!!!

One question though.. Is it ok to say I have no knowledge of the account even if I do (clearly I do because I paid it). Is the typical course of action that EX and EQ (the ones reporting) would send me some info on the account or some other type of response?

Also, what about the thing with IC System deleting the account after a "couple of months?" It sounds like they know they can't report it, and if this is the case, I'd just wait the few months, otherwise the HIPAA stuff looks to be really helpful!

Yes, it's okay. Smiley Happy

The HIPAA process is NOT the same thing as the DV process. You're not being unethical by pre-HIPAAing the CRA.

The letter, AFAIK, is just a boiler-plate request for the CRAs to validate original ownership of the account. It's main purpose (again, AFAIK) is to create a paper trail of WHO you need to send the actual HIPAA letter (step 2) to. And since I DID forget to mention it, you send ALL letters in the HIPAA process CMRRR. Again, its all about leaving a paper trail.

Me? I'd go ahead and send it. From what I've heard, most OCs AND CAs don't understand the HIPAA process as re credit reporting, so they may not "know they can't report it."

But then, I tend to be paranoid. And knowing how long the entire process takes, I'd not want to waste that time.

YMMV.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Wonderin!! I had no idea HIPAA even existed, so I'll give it a try.

I'll post back with the status of it, or (more likely) more questions Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, don't you worry ... I'll be here!! Smiley Wink

Good Luck!! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, sorry to bring my old thread back up, but I've got another question about this same collection I'm trying to get removed.

I sent the HIPAA letter to the OC by certified mail a few weeks ago.  I got the green card back, so they have my letter, but that's it.  I haven't heard anything back from them, no mail or phone call, and the collection is still on my report. What do I do next?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You wait till 30 days after they received it, and see what they send you. Then just follow the steps for whatever scenario you get that are in the link at the top of this forum about the HIPAA process. Read the directions very carefully, and do everything carefully and deliberately, because it's confusing.

You will follow the scenario for a paid medical collection that is either validated or not, depending on what they send you, if anything.

Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Akhan, do the following:

Scenario #3: If the CRA “verifies" your paid collection but the CA does not provide an accurate and complete validation, send this letter to the CA.

ALTERNATIVE MED DV LETTER TO THE CA

After you receive the green card for the Alt Med DV letter to the CA, mail this follow-up dispute letter to the CRA's along with copies of your green card and Alt Med DV letter. Please post your results before continuing with the HIPAA letter process. GL!

FOLLOW-UP DISPUTE LETTER (2) TO THE CRA'S

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.