Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collections

I have several medical bills on my cr how long will they be on there before falling off?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Medical Collections

Collections or Medical Credit Cards?!     Collections can stay on up to 7 years!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

un paid medical bills that went to a ca.

Message 3 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

Collections can stay on your credit report for up to 7y + 180d from the DOFD (Date of first Delinquency).

Most of the time they only stay on for 7 years.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I pay them off? If so, who should I pay the original office or the credit collection company?  Will they remove the collection from my account once they have been paid in full?

Message 5 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I pay them off? If so, who should I pay the original office or the credit collection company?  Will they remove the collection from my account once they have been paid in full?

If you go to the Rebuilding Forum - there's a lot of good information/advice there;   You could start a new post and list out the collection agency, original creditor, amount, and dates and people can direct you to the best strategy.

IF a collection agency is collecting on behalf of a medical provider (as in, they didn't actually purchase the debt, just have collection authority), you can ask for the collection to be recalled and pay the provider directly.   The collection agency will have to delete the collection since they no longer have authority to report it.

If the agency owns the debt, it's a different matter.  Some collection agencies PFD (Pay for Delete) as a matter of policy, some refuse to delete.   You'll have to call them to discuss or negotiate (you can try to negotiate smaller payments).

Paying them off is good because they should stop updating and suppressing your credit score, but how much, how, or when will depend on you, how much money you have, how much you owe, and the internal policies of the company collecting.   You should also look up your state's Statute of Limitations for debt, as well, as that will determine if they can sue you for the debt.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which one do I call to ask them to recall the debut? The medical provider or the collection agency? 

Message 7 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which one do I call to ask them to recall the debut? The medical provider or the collection agency? 

The original creditor (the medical provider in this case).

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You for your help.

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.