Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical collection

So a little over a month ago I had disputed a medical collection on my report that was successfully removed with all 3 cras. Fast forward to now and it's back but with a different agency. Can I just keep disputing it if it comes back and it will be removed?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical collection

Is it valid?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So a little over a month ago I had disputed a medical collection on my report that was successfully removed with all 3 cras. Fast forward to now and it's back but with a different agency. Can I just keep disputing it if it comes back and it will be removed?
Before you do anything google the HIPAA Letter Process follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If its not yours you will need to use the laws afforded you in the FCRA as to ID Theft to get it permanently excluded from your CR.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

If it is yours then you need to take care of it or it will most likely keep coming back and moving to different CAs.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so after some research I found out it was indeed valid, I had gone to the hospital a couple times back in mid 2012 and one time I had insurance this collection we are speaking of I didn't. So this collection is due to fall off in June of this year. Even if I know it's valid should I still send DV? Also I'm afraid my credit card accounts will be closed. This might sound nuts but should I contact my CC companies and let them know what's going on and that I'm gonna get this taken care of? Thank you all
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or should I send a letter offering PFD at a fraction of the cost? Is there a way to do this without resetting the 7 yr clock? Again, thx all!
Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The 7 year clock cannot be reset its a set in stone date. In your case start with the PFD offer to the reporting CA. If its past your states SOL you can offer less but if getting it deleted is the goal then I would offer 75%.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that's right only my states SOL can be reset. So i paid 60% and they agreed, sent me a written statement of the terms and delete. It's with Commonwealth financial. Any idea how fast they are to process it and the deletion to take place?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh that's right only my states SOL can be reset. So i paid 60% and they agreed, sent me a written statement of the terms and delete. It's with Commonwealth financial. Any idea how fast they are to process it and the deletion to take place?

Thier process could take up to 90 days just like any other collection agency will tell you but they have to update the status to paid promptly. Just out of curiosity how did they verify the debt with you? a copy of the bill?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They sent me a copy of the bill but didn't itemize anything. I paid it last Thursday, it just came off my reports today
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.