Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on rebuilding.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on rebuilding.

I have a number of CO's from a few years ago when everything hit the fan in my life and I'm trying to climb out. I have a few questions. Here are the details:

I just paid a negotiated settlement with Discover who sued me and won a judgment.

I've got about 6 other charge off's from a few years back.

I've got one auto loan I'm current on. No other loans or lines of credit open.

My store is sitting at 640ish.

I did not file for bankruptcy protection.

Do I try and pay off the collections companies that bought my debt, pay off the original creditor, OR do I just sit on my hands until the statute of limitations runs out on these other debts and hope nobody else wants to take me to court? It's probably about 30k worth of CO's.

I should not pay off my auto loan so I show a current history of on-time payments on an open loan correct?

I'm going to get a rebuilding CC or secured CC or two and start working on my score but what else should I do?

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice I've gotten from here over the years!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on rebuilding.

Update:

I went ahead and got an Open Sky secured card with 3k limit since they don't even do a pull. I tried for a secured card from my bank and even though I have an auto loan with them in good standing and A WHOLE LOT of cash in their bank I was declined. I may visit my branch manager and see if he might be able to do a recon?

Message 2 of 3
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on rebuilding.

You would have to pay who ever owns the debt and a PFD would be a better option but I would pay it either way.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.